Urgent..... Electrical Guru Help Needed - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Urgent..... Electrical Guru Help Needed

Hi,

On the electrical schematic drawings for the Shadow 11 dated 1977 in the headlamp circuit area on the drawing there are two symbols that look like capacitors or thermal break fuses. the quality of my drawing makes them actually just look like a letter B.

On the drawing they sit directly between the fuses shown as No. 5, 6 and 7 which clearly show a fuse symbol.

They are shown in series with the foot dipswitch and headlamp safety relay.

Would someone explain what and where this symbol is refering to and then where is it in the car.

All help appreciated

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Garage
Hi Steve
Can you post a pic?
Mike

chassis 27650
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:42 PM

The circle symbol with a "Z" in it is a bulb

LRL-41587C

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:45 PM

The B is a bullet connector, commonly used in the exterior lighting circuits

LRL-41587C
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:46 PM

Steve.

Looking at a 77 Shadow which I am breaking, there is nothing but wires and connectors from the ignition switch to the back of the fuse-board, following the Brown-Blue wire.
I think the symbols you are referring to, are the connector on the back of the fuse-board.
I did not disconnect this connector from the fuse-board to see if there was anything unusual about it as it is getting too dark. I will have another check in the morning and post if there is anything to report.

Have you fixed the instrument panel lights on your friends Shadow?

Jake.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:48 PM

Look at PG 8 Chapter M. You will see the "B" indication the dipswitch connections and colour codes.

LRL-41587C
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Steve.

Is this what you are looking at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190820_205137.jpg (179.0 KB, 14 views)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks everyone. Jakes picture is excactly what I am seeing but far better quality on the picture than I see on my drawing.

It is not where your finger is Jake but the two rectangular boxes right in the middle.

After a few looks at the schematic last night I actually think the 'contacts' which the symbol does appear now to represent are the contacts that are inside the safety cut off relay 'OTTER' trip unit. That actual I thought was the relay which is shown further down on the schematic but not dotted line grouped with these contacts.

I was replacing the dash/facia main beam indicator light yesterday and when I pulled it out the insulation sheaths on the back had been pushed down leaving bare wires and I caught the metal back facia/dash and blew the fuse for the headlights.

I can now see the 'otter' trip out device also includes 'headlamps' so I think I just need to press the red button.....hopefully then solved.

I have done Shadow 11's temporary fix for the panel lamps but will follow up on that thread to complete closure.......well I would like to say closure but this car is definitely on the cusp of a model changeover/consolidation!! as relay positions and components are more what is shown for the 1980 Camargue and not an SS11.

It has (definitely original fit) SU fuel pumps and a fuel safety cut out relay that prevents pumps running until oil pressure switch connected to the engine front next to oil light bulb indicator switch.................so anyone waiting for their SU pumps to stop ticking before starting engine it just won't happen. The engine has to be cranked to switch out the relay to allow pumps to get the supply.........this means long cranks if the cars are left unused for periods.

Also directly above the two oil switches at the front of the engine is a fairly standard 'oil pressure sender unit'..........but there is no oil pressure guage in the car so not sure yet what this does.............

Thanks all though for the help so far

Steve
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Steve, the oil pressure switch works with the fuel pump relay. The fuel pump will not run until oil pressure is obtained.
Chapter M Pg 640
Wire color code from the switch is NY brown/yellow 14gauge
Also, Chapter M has a "legends" chart that shows abbreviations, symbols, wire codes, plug labels, etc.
I transferred this page to a thumb drive and sent it to Staples and had it enlarged as a small poster for the shop.

LRL-41587C
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:59 AM

Steve.

Yes, you have worked out that is the way the thermal cutouts are drawn on the wiring diagrams. I suppose it would have made life easier if they had shown that in the symbols charts.
I did not like to say that is what the drawing was showing, until I was sure what you were looking at. I see too many posts which are incorrect which as the saying goes, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Better not to post if not 99% sure of any advice given.
Just my rant for the day, I am happy now.

Jake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode