Late Shadow 11 panel light relay - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Late Shadow 11 panel light relay

Hi,

I am just helping a friend with some issues on a late SS11.

There are no panel/instrument light illumination and I can see there is a relay in the circuit from the electrical diagrams in series with the dimmer switch.

Can anyone help me exactly where the relay is located in the car before I strip out to test the dimmer switch.

Over 30 years owning my Shadow 1 I have still not located ALL the relays apart from those on the printed circuit board in engine bay under the RHS blower motor that are just a pain to get to.

Regards

Last edited by Steve E; 08-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Steve. I printed a page from the WSM Chapter M-component location for reference. It shows a relay located behing the glovebox on LH cars. There are 3 relays grouped together, Lo washer fluid, Panel lamp (its in the middle), and interior light delay. Engine overhead buzzer is grouped there also.
Maybe short the overheat sensor in the block to locate this grouping. There is also a "panel lamps unit" within this group.

LRL-41587C
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:43 PM

The dimmer switch is behind the dashboard near the steering wheel on my RHD Silver Shadow 11. The relay is lower down, just above the brake pedal if my memory serves me correctly. If you follow the wires down from the dimmer switch you will find the relay. The dimmer switch has a circular knob to adjust the brightness of the fascia lights.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again Robert and Shadow 11,

Your quick responses are always appreciated.

I should have said it is a RHD. I have got the dimmer switch and will look into that but thought the relay should be best to check out first.

I am assuming that perhaps the location is similar so behind glovebox on a LHD as Robert says and behind the steering wheel RHD as Shadow 11 says.

I don't know how much the changes were made to each harness between LHD/RHD and how many were common as I have never worked on a LHD car.

Many thanks
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Hi Steve, If you have located the dimmer switch you will find the relay as the wires from the dimmer switch go down towards the relay. I had a break in on Silver Shadow 11 SRH37125 a few years ago and the wires from the dimmer and relay were pulled out so I had to reattach them which was a PITA. I eventually bypassed the dimmer switch altogether and the facia lights work fine without it, not too bright and not too dull. The relay can be got at without removing any dashboard items other than the lower part which is held on by 4 screws between the steering wheel and the pedals. The relay is just above the brake pedal so you need to be somewhat a contortionist to access it but it's not too difficult. I did a writeup on this site a couple of years ago explaining what colour wires I connected to the relay to get the fascia lights to work following a number of failed attempts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:52 AM

Hi Steve, That post by me with the relay wiring colours & locations I was referring to above is dated 11/6/2018 under the topic Silver Shadow 11 SRH37125 instrument lights. It may help you in tracing the wire colour codes to and from the relay.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Shadow 11 I will search for that post and also check the wiring colour codes on the electrical schematic.

This car is a late 78 SS11 and I can see a lot differences from the earlier SS11's I have worked on.

Indeed I have just had to strip and refurb the rear door window as to my surprise it was a regulator mechanism like on the Spirit with no chain guides just the centre suport for the cogs and a bracket linked direct onto the chain. Albeit the motor was the same earlier SS11 large round fixed magnet type unlike Spirit which has the smaller Bosch motor.

There also does not seem to be the same electrical component set up under bonnet RHS as appears just one little Bosch relay and the Scintilla switch whereas the previous SS11 I worked on a few months ago had about 4 relays by the RHS blower motor unlike my SS1 that has about 8 inconveniently located underneath the blower motor and another 3 above inside the ali housing.

I will have to check out changes from the chassis number as again this one has a totally different facia/dash than the SS1 and earlier SS11 which were quite similar apart from warning lights.

Another job I thought I could do in a couple of hours as I keep fully refurbed SS1 and SS11 regulators in my spares but was not aware the later SS11 ones were again different. Now I have spent all day doing this.

BTW I am not bad with body contortions but my hands and arms are big and it does not help in these tight spots.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:35 PM

No doubt you have checked the 10 amp fuse on the fuse board, I think it's fuse no.8 but the reference card with the fuse board will confirm.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Shadow 11,

Yes it is fuse 8 and I checked both sides with a test light and had power hence I need to get to the relay next.

I will start Monday but give my usual bacon and egg breakfast a miss if I am going to end up on my back upside down with my legs in the air.

Thanks again though for continuing advice.

Steve
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:28 AM

Steve.

I will state the obvious, as you know the ignition has to be switched on for the instrument lights to work, so take care when testing as everything is live.
I also suggest you disconnect the +wire at the ignition coil while testing.

Jake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode