Brake pressure not right - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Brake pressure not right

I have new accumulators, hoses, fluid and rebuilt valves and pumps. Also new seals in height rams and height valves. Brakes and height control work well. But rear pump ticks and rear system (2) pressure light comes on with only 5 presses on brake pedal (engine off). Light goes out right away when engine on. I’ve tried bleeding and don’t see air bubbles.
Thanks for suggestions

1976 Shadow
VIN 22833
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:59 PM

Either your accumulator is bad or your ACV is bad.

Ticking in pumps very often occurs when there is not the expected back pressure in the system from a properly charged accumulator, so I'd check that first. If the rebuild did not go correctly or even if it did, but the valve leaked, you could easily have an accumulator that's almost gone flat. If the accumulator charge checks out, then you need to make yourself a system testing gauge and test the system to determine what's going on as far as the ACV. See: Building a Hydraulic Pressure Test Gauge (B.Vogel).

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I can’t remember what the accumulators are like - do they have a valve on the nitrogen side that I can test for pressure/add nitrogen to if needed? I bought mine from flying spares

1976 Shadow
VIN 22833

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:42 PM

New (recent) accumulators? Did FS supply rebuilt pressure valves? The only definitive way to diagnose such issues is with a 0-3000psi gauge and read off the pressure valve bleeder. This is the easy part...you have to understand and interpret what you see.

The pressure valves may not have been tested and shimmed to release at the right pressure. The best overhaul and test is when both can be tested together.

Testing at he pressure valve may also indicate a weak hydraulic pump. If any of the system components are not working properly the whole system suffers.

LRL-41587C
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jim Walters
Did you buy the disposable accumulator spheres or rebuilt exchange spheres from Flying Spares? You have either low pressure in the sphere, faulty accumulator valve, or faulty low pressure warning light switch. The only way to be sure of what is wrong is to fit a pressure gauge and test the system with it connected to the #2 system. On a 76 Shadow you can fit the pressure gauge to the pressure warning switches on the left front inner fender near the radiator, no need to climb under the car to fit one.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I bought the reconditioned ones: RH2390SXR
I will make a pressure gauge as described in the attachment above and see what that says.

1976 Shadow
VIN 22833
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Vendor

Some knucklehead that lurks these forums has test gages ready to go:
https://www.britishtoolworks.com/pro...stem-test-gage
IMG_7288.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7290.jpg (188.9 KB, 4 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode