Survey/Opinion Rocker cover gaskets - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Survey/Opinion Rocker cover gaskets

Replacing my gaskets soon and would like opinions using the original cork or updating to the rubber with new distance spacers. Is the rubber seal round or square?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 AM

New "rubber" seal. Same basic shape as the cork, just a different material. Follow the torque tightening figures to the letter, most grossly overtighten.

Make sure that your flame trap is clean and check it once every several years.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Dear Brian,

I recently studied this topic and went through the remakable document from the RR Australian forum

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/bulletins/v8rockergasket.pdf

and believe an addendum should be done.

When you replace the original rocker cover cork seal by the rubber ones, some parts need to be replaced by others, as specified in the above document..
But, under the original cap nuts, which remain the original ones, you definitely need to add a washer joint " XB 1079 " per cap nut, at least on my Continetal R and I would say on all models.
This is not specified in the above document and remain indeed essential, otherwise the work is not done accroding to Bentley requirment.

You could check on a technical draw from Bentley what I mean, you will see that 6 Washer Jonts XB 1079 R are necessary when replacing cork seals buy the rubber ones.
With the original cork selas, you are not supposed to have those 6 washer joints XB 1079 R, and in any case, would you have them, they should be replaced as they are in aluminium.
But they do not appear on original Bentley draw with cork seals.

I let you report my comments to the original author.

Thank You
Jean

97 Continental R

Last edited by Jean7; 09-07-2017 at 10:33 AM.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 AM

Garage
I have just replaced mine with the original cork - I smear a very light amount of clear silicone along the bottom edge of the gaskets and find them oil tight - Cork gaskets naturally expand and contract with oil and temperature due to the nature of the beast - if your gaskets are old but intact you will find that a smear of silicone will seal the job!

Regards
Chris
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 PM

Chris,

Would you recommend rather the cork or the rubber ones ?

jean

97 Continental R
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Garage
Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean7 View Post
Chris,

Would you recommend rather the cork or the rubber ones ?

jean
Ive only ever used cork with silicone

Regards
Chris
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:10 PM

I would definitely recommend the silicone over the cork, particularly if you intend to run full synthetic oil (or even conventional-synthetic blend) in your car.

For Jean: That document is not ever going to be updated as it is the straight service bulletin from Crewe, tweaked just ever so slightly to bring attention to it. I've attached what comes straight out of IETIS.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rocker Cover Gasket Replacement from SZ IETIS.pdf (35.1 KB, 32 views)

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:17 PM

Also, with regard to leaks from the valve cover gaskets, do not fail to take into account that your flame trap could be clogged. This is a very-often neglected (including by me) component, which is well documented in this thread I started a while back on the RROC-Australia Discussion Forums: Flame Trap on Oil Filler - The Need to Clean It

There is also a related post with one additional picture is worth a thousand words related the same on SZ cars on these forums: https://www.rollsroyceforums.com/foru...eed-clean.html

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:30 PM

Garage
Hi All
Was at FS today and heard Ben say the rubber are a worthwhile upgrade.
Mike

chassis 27650
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

When I powdercoated my covers I replaced the gaskets with rubber and the new distance bits and fastener seals with no problems. I used black sticky gasket maker in spots to hold the new seal in place with the weight of the cover on them the night before and installation was a breeze. Covers are shown in my pics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode