Removing and Installing Spark Plugs on the RR/Bentley V8 - Tips and Tricks - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Phantom

Removing and Installing Spark Plugs on the RR/Bentley V8 - Tips and Tricks

I just received a private message asking about removing the spark plugs and this task looking challenging on an SY series car (Shadow and derivatives). Depending on the exact model year and equipment it can be anything from mildly challenging to absolutely miserable. I am hoping that this thread will encourage people to share their own techniques and photos in regard to removing and installing the spark plugs.

I recently removed all the spark plugs on LRK37110, a US spec 1979 Silver Wraith II. Both the A-Bank (right) and B-Bank (left - from the perspective of sitting in the car) pose certain challenges with the engine bay setup in this model. On the A-Bank it was much easier to get at both A1 and A2 if one released the hot air intake first.

For removal, it really helps to have ratchet extensions around 1 foot long for the A-Bank and 2 to 3 feet long for the B-Bank. The most miserable plug, as far as removal goes, for me is B3. Attached are photos showing how I angled in with the long extension to grab the B3 and B4 plugs for removal.

It's every bit as challenging, possibly more so, getting the things back in. One recommendation I received years ago that has served me well is using a wooden dowel with a short piece of hose or vinyl tubing (I use the latter, as you can get it in a diameter that's better at holding the plug from the top). With the top of the spark plug pushed far enough into the piece of tubing to have a solid grip you angle back in like you did to remove the plugs in order to screw them back in. The flexibility of the tubing helps to prevent cross threading and also gives you enough "wiggle" on the plug. Afterward it's easy to pull off (provided you've secured it to the dowel). After all the plugs are in you go around with your ratchet, extensions, and the spark plug socket without the rubber "grabber" boot in it and tighten the plugs down until just snug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Removing_Plug_B3_Annotated.jpg (243.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Removing_Plug_B4_Annotated.jpg (339.1 KB, 74 views)

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 10:22 PM

And here's me getting anxious about changing the plugs in my SZ. Three ft ratchet extension sounds insane! You've just made me feel grateful for the relative 'simplicity' of the Silver Spur design. Confidence levels just increased 3 points..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Phantom

There's not a heck of a lot of difference between the two, although the lack of the RR363 reservoir and its mounting bracket helps.

There are cars that are far more hellish, but if you're unprepared for some of this it can be much uglier for the uninitiated than it need be. It's funny, but someone was asking about this not long ago, and I somehow couldn't locate one of my older posts with images. Now, here it is again!

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 02:25 AM
Phantom

Garage
Yip

A menace to the human race removing plugs. I've attached a photo for example only of ratchet extensions you can buy with the socket end tapered allowing the extension to be angled.
Ive used that type with great success and the tubing fitted over the plug suggestion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (188.8 KB, 15 views)

Rolls Royce
Silver Spirit
chassis 34285

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode