Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Manual oil and fuel check 1934 Phantom II?

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Vonkie 
#1 ·
The fuel gauge on my 1934 Phantom II seems to be quite inaccurate - it has a 28 gallon (127 litre) tank. It showed halfway between 10 and 16 gallons left, when I filled up to first click, and it took in 51 odd litres, i.e. another 11,2 gallons or so, and then showed a level of only some 20 gallons. I should of course get to know it a lot better than that before drawing any strong conclusions, but it seems I need a method of checking the fuel level independently of the gauge. Is the best some sort of calibrated dipstick one can insert into the fuel filler hole? if so, what type?

The same goes for the engine oil (using SAE 40). To check the oil level, one has to rely on the gauge on the left of the crank-case. It should show between one and one and a half gallons, preferably the latter. But what if the gauge is inaccurate, stuck or inoperative? Is there some way of checking the engine oil level accurately with a dipstick, so one need not rely on the gauge?

#2 ·
Well, apparently there is no way to override the oil gauge - one pushes it back to see if it bounces back to verify there is oil. No straight line into the fuel tank either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.