Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Homecoming! Happy day

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Vonkie 
#1 ·
Well, I took custody today of Queen Igry - a 1934 Phantom II Sedanca de Ville. 40/50 HP with a 7.6 litre engine.

Having swotted up all the starting and driving procedures from various manuals (where one must follow chassis numbers to read the correct instructions), and having had long discussions with my guy about various technique and trouble shooting essentials, I braved the 30 mile journey home in traffic, after first practising manoeuvring her and getting the gears right, and just about managed it, including then another 10 miles. Started her again some 4 hours later for good measure.

Did not go much over 60 mph on the highway, which for now is plenty.

The gears are quite something. It makes the Moss Box of my E Type seem space age. No synchromesh on first or second, and it feels like driving a very heavy and beautiful truck or tractor. Downgearing to second requires a double-declutch, engaging neutral and giving gas before engaging second, and going from first into second is worse - one really needs to holiday in neutral to avoid grinding. Even engaging first out of neutral in idle is a challenge - one must go somewhere else first, like a bit towards third, to avoid an ugly grind. The Moss Box wants one to touch the synchro in second before engaging first gear, but this is more difficult.

The handbrake is very good, and so is the clutch, which is just as well.

She seems to want to get to top gear quickly - even on inclines where one thinks she'd be happier in third.

I will have many questions. Indulge a newbie and let me know whether I am posting in the correct subforum.

I am trying to attach some homecoming pics. Last attempt wiped my whole post, so this is take two of the post.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: The_Nuge
#3 ·
Use the clutch enter third gear with synchromesh. This will stop lay shaft (counter shaft) spinning and first motion shaft
too. The clutch plate is mounted on first motion shaft. Quickly come out third gear and go for first with clutch still fully depressed. At this point the clutch plate should not be rotating (spinning). You should be able to get into first now without grinding. If it still wants to grind. Check clutch adjustment it may not be opening fully. Same for reverse gear. First to second. Clutch in out first to neutral foot off pedal. This will allow counter shaft to spin up second gear. Pedal down into second gear it should all be spinning. Now at the right speed to go into second gear. It like driving an old lorry (stake truck). She is beautiful.

#6 ·
Use the clutch enter third gear with synchromesh. This will stop lay shaft (counter shaft) spinning and first motion shaft
too. The clutch plate is mounted on first motion shaft. Quickly come out third gear and go for first with clutch still fully depressed. At this point the clutch plate should not be rotating (spinning). You should be able to get into first now without grinding. If it still wants to grind. Check clutch adjustment it may not be opening fully. Same for reverse gear. First to second. Clutch in out first to neutral foot off pedal. This will allow counter shaft to spin up second gear. Pedal down into second gear it should all be spinning. Now at the right speed to go into second gear. It like driving an old lorry (stake truck). She is beautiful.[/QUOTE

Thanks - useful to know to go to third for first!

#9 ·
Had another trip - 20 miles on Sunday to lunch. Downshifting to second works fine if one gives gas while in neutral, but upshifting into second is still very difficult to avoid a grind, even on a slow sequence of depress clutch, neutral, let go clutch, depress clutch, slowly into second. Going uphill or very slowly is best for this, but anything else tends to grind, even if one stays in neutral for a while (and the range of first gear is quite limited). I have noticed that, most times going downhill, if I go out of first into neutral and then engage third, instead of going via second, there's no problem. Is there anything wrong with skipping second like this? I cannot think that this can be bad, as I am double declutching anyway, i.e. letting go of the clutch in neutral before gain depressing clutch pedal before engaging third, so surely it does not matter whether it was in second before I did this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.