Centre Dash Wood Lacquer - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Centre Dash Wood Lacquer

I spent yesterday stripping the awful brown painted varnish off the S3 centre walnut section. It has a large broken repaired area, but I would rather see that than brown varnish! It looks beautiful even without lacquer!

Took quite a while to get all the layers off to bare veneer. Its so nice to be able to see the beautiful wood. Cant wait to coat it up and buff to a full shine. What do people prefer to use for the finish?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2111.jpg (174.3 KB, 23 views)

1964 Bentley S3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:12 PM

First use acetone to clean the surface and use a sealer. Top coats vary. Lacquer gives that beautiful gloss but needs many, many coats. Why don't you send it out. Have the chip area filled in and re-grained.

LRL-41587C
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Boss threatens to sell the car if it costs more money.. We have a damaged door capping that has to go out, but I reckon I can make this look a whole lot better than it did, for very little money. All surface coating are removed now and the scraping carefully has kept the shape really nice and lines intact.
I had some great success spraying from aerosol cans on another car a while ago and managed to get an amazing finish, so I'll probably do my best with automotive spray lacquer - at least it wont be taking the sun like the door capping would. It wont last very long compared to a professional finsish, but oh my gosh that brown varnish was a travesty and had to go.

I'm thinking a coat a day and building it up before deep buffing.

1964 Bentley S3

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Lacquer dries very quickly. I would do many coats and tip down with 600 grit or finer after several. My door caps were buffed on a wheel when finished. Smooth as glass and flat.

LRL-41587C
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

First coat on today after making sure the panel was as flat and smooth as possible. Very pleased with it so far. I wish I had a buffing wheel, not sure I'd be safe with it though!

I've never done this before with bare wood, but I have transformed the wood in my Mercedes by flatting it back and repolishing the surface to a mirror shine, Very effective, I've done it loads and tried using a buffing mop on a drill, or just endless hand polishing. Both can get amazing results working with different polishes as it gets smoother. I suppose I might need to do that to this panel once I've applied a few coats.

I'll post a picture of the end result.

1964 Bentley S3
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

It took 8 hours of spraying and flatting back, I think it was about 11 coats of automotive lacquer and cost very little to do, just time.

I dont even mind the large repaired section (already there) as it seems just part of the character of the car.

I used paint stripper to take off the existing surface coat. There was the awful brown varnish which came off easily, and then a layer of what was probably the original finish.
I was very wary of paint stripper being in contact with the veneer but I was scraping with the Stanley knife blade so it wasn't wet on the surface much and didn't harm it.

The wood is absolutely beautiful and I couldn't get over the workmanship and skill used in selecting and applying the veneer. I'm very pleased we were able to save this original Bentley veneer, I find it hard to imagine it being done anything like so well if it was re-done. I could't stop looking at it.

First time I've done this and its not perfect, but I'm very pleased with it overall. I wonder how it will age in the heat of the car in the summer. We shall see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55887883_10158434752109126_6519180749491404800_n.jpg (54.2 KB, 20 views)

1964 Bentley S3
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:45 PM

Looks good, gleaming lacquer finish which highlights the burr walnut pattern.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the format of my post, by the way.
Yes its pretty shiny. The finish of some of the other wood pieces is a very nice mellow satin, I wonder if thats the correct finish for this car really.
It was a pleasure to see this amazing choice of veneer see the light of day again.

1964 Bentley S3
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:57 PM

It came shiny and polished from the factory. Over time and cleaning/dusting with rags, the finish settles down.

LRL-41587C
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Aha does it? Thank you, I've been wondering.

1964 Bentley S3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode