Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Greetings Y’all

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Texas 
#1 ·
Hope everyone is well and happy with their motor cars. This forum was very hard to find, as I’ve been looking for it for at least three years. I am happy to be here. Currently a ‘13 Continental Flying Spur and a ‘11 Ghost and soon to add a SZ Bentley hopefully within this coming week into my English garage side. Lots of great info here and I hope to contribute for many years to come. Safe driving everyone!

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome Texas,

Nice range of cars...........not that I like the modern ones but seriously am now at my age thinking of throwing the towel in with ALL my classics and just buying a new Bentley GT Continental Convertible.

I don't care anymore about devaluation as most money will only go to the taxman in inheritance tax so maybe time to put my feet up and let others do the work on the car.

Under serious pressure now from SWMBO as age is affecting eyesight and joints I am starting to struggle now keeping the cars in good shape.

Enjoy the SZ, I have had my SS1 for nearly 40 years and loved it. My wife for nearly as long who always said she would never marry a mechanic because she can't stand the smell of old oil.......thankfully I got the ring on the finger before she knew what a classic car nut also smelt like!!!!

All the best

Steve

#5 ·
I love those GTC, always tempted to by one. I would choose the V8 now, these W12 have this vacuum valve located so embedded into the engine that when it fails, you have to pull the engine out to replace the $400 valve. A $5,600 job at an independent shop VS $12,000 at the authorized service center. Happened on a 2007 GT. There are two types of W12 engines, the ones that had a replacement of the vacuum valve, and the ones that will. Or so I hear. My ‘13 has emissions warranty for a couple of more years. By then I would’ve replaced the car.

You’ll sport the GTC well, hopefully you’ll pull the trigger soon and share it here!

#7 ·
Steve I used to drive a Flying Spur from a former employer and it was nice..in fact it was great because I was able to drive
it and not have the responsibility. I would regularly go to Manahattan Motorcars in NYC for service and being out of warranty was stupidly expensive.

Unfortunately the car is not a true Bentley in my book, the new ones use a Porsche Panamera platform and an Audi V-8 (my choice) but at the end of the day it is a Bentley.
You live once...just go for it.

#9 ·
Hi All

Thanks for the info...........my problem is I have just about hated every shape of the flat nosed slab sided tanks produced since RR were taken over. I have a Mini Cooper S and look at what they did to the later styling of that car.:crying

Now the shape and style of the latest Bentley GT convertible finally to me is very pleasing. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder:devil good job SWMBO has poor eysight too.

My problem is my wife can hardly even get into some of our cars now due to knee arthritis and she keeps telling me I just look stupid at my age driving the Ferrari 308. She definitely is not a 'snobby' but does like going out in the Shadow.

It certainly frightens me to think of garage bills as I know the modern cars are just not a DIY fix, however at my age it is getting difficult now and I don't think I could ever do a rear brake overhaul again on the e-Type rear inboard discs if needed.

Anyway Christmas is coming so maybe my wife will treat me:angel if I promise to off load some of the other cars.

Perhaps a year old one would at least show a huge saving from new price, I will start looking around but do acknowledge all the points made.

All the best

Steve

#10 ·
I like the plan Steve, having owned a Ferrari 355 a while back, and some other Italians after that, they are to me a very uncomfortable and not practical ride. I am six feet five inches tall, I had to wear the vehicles like a pair of pants. I am done with the sports cars for good. The GTC is the epitome of comfort/sports in my humble opinions. And with the top retracted, it is such a breeze to get in and out. The new cars will give you years of worry free ownership. Perhaps purchase a service contract for the extension of warranties. After all, at least here in America where the healthcare is all messed up, we can choose to pay for a mechanic to fix a bad CV joint in our cars, or a Doctor to fix a bad knee joint for trying to fix our own car. I think a Bentley/Rolls Royce mechanic will still be cheaper in the end....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.