Silver Spirit 11 1988 - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Silver Spirit 11 1988

Greetings ll. Jamie here. Am being talked into adopting a friends RR. It is said that to have a Rolls Royce is a wonderful thing. To have two Rolls Royce is one Rolls Royce too many. (Actually I think it was me). This car has a pretty much unknown history. I know it was an import from HK and the air conditioning is not working. It will have spent some time quietly stewing in high temps and high humidity. The coach work is good and the interior is used but very clean and tidy. Issues noted are rear left window lift non=operational. Front left central lock try's but does not quite make it so it has power to it but I suspect needs a mechanical tweak. Engine has done ? Km as the speedo works but the mileage recorder does not. Have given the thin black stuff in the engine a change, then took it for a few super hot runs here in our baking hot Summer then drained it . That looked pretty icky as well but immediately gave it a new filter and a second oil change. Have done about 500 ks on that and it is super clean and golden so I don't think there is anything too nasty going on in there. Next job is to drain and replace the coolant. Any corrosian in the block would be a total disaster. In my checks I noticed that the suspension was solid and thumpy and checked the eye glasses only to discover that there was no sign of mineral oil. Immediately topped those up with about 500 gallons of fluid and the ride seems to have settled down quite nicely but I not sure if it is as good as it should be.

But I have a question. I have let it sit for a few days and today I got a metre length of dowel and stood it vertically on the workshop floor and lined it up through the RR logo in the centre of the rear hub caps. I then marked the dowel at the point that it passed the lower edge of the rear guard. Then I got the hap who is selling it to start her up. The warning lamps go out after about 25~35 seconds and I thought I would see the rear rise an inch or two but it didn't. Maybe it should , maybe it shouldn't I don't know but I would sure like some help and advice about this. can anyone guide me here?
Kind regards
Jamie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:27 PM
Phantom

Hi Jamie,

The ride is solid and thumpy: you rear suspension spheres are shot (2 of them, 80EUR a piece), don't drive the car, you'll ruin the shocks (500EUR a piece).
Yes, the car should rise if it sat for a few days. I suspect the height adjusting valve is clogged. Changing the fluid (LHM plus, green, alien blood) and bleeding the 2 systems (se.arch this Forum) may fix this issue. If not, report back.

Last edited by JP_Corniche; 02-14-2020 at 08:33 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:43 AM

several possible reasons ; LHM, , fonrt spheres, rear spheres, rams, hooses, height level valve, brake pumps......

Carrefull do not go under the car without protection as it may collaps any time

97 Continental R

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 12:49 PM

Garage
Jamie, my first question to you is,"are you mechanically inclined"? If no, then expect to spend much Wampum bringing the piece of Art back to life.

If the answer is yes, then here are the things you will learn about.
Restore the door locking mechanism,
repair the window lift issues,
send off the speedometer to be repaired. (I just did this for one of my cars cost $300.00 US)
car has a hydraulic issue, may be easy, and may be expensive, spheres at a minimum, shocks possibly, and more than likely springs if car is sagging,

With the hydraulic system in dis-repair I would high suspect the brakes are in dire need of attention, this includes hoses, rebuilding all calipers, pads, possibly rotors, and hopefully not the accumulator valves and pumps.

Th Air conditioning system is another issue. You have 3 major systems combined into one, refrigeration, heating, and ventilation. They all interact with each other, If the controls are wonky, they have to be worked out first. My understanding of the system is the AC is always on, with the heater tap varying as needed, the control module controls a series of flaps to blend the cabin air to the temperature set by the operator controls. If the fans are not working, or you have dirty fins on the evaporator coils, or the flaps or hung up due to worn out bushings, then the results are not want you want. The heated tap is another source of concern, then comes the refrigeration system, many issues may reside here, but be sure your inside components are working before you tackle this problem.

I own an 88 Corniche and an 89 Spur, love them both, have put over 60K miles on the Spur, but these issues have all been resolved. The 20,000 series cars are great cars, but can be very expensive if you have to take it to the shop for all the repairs.

Good luck with your purchase.

Jim
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 01:48 PM

FYI the A/C is not always "on". It is only producing when the clutch is engaged to spin the internals of the compressor.

1980 SWII LRL-41587C FInj
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114 Harkness RR
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 03:33 PM

Garage
Wraithman where I got the idea that the compressor is always on is from the Shadow II through early Spirit/Spurs up to the 20,000 series. TSD 4200 Chapter C page C2-3 states

"The refrigerant Refrigerant 12) is circulated by a compressor which is driven from the engine crank-shaft by twin 'vee belts. An electro-magnetic clutch is incorporated in the compressor that is energised in the engaged position at all times when the engine is running except when the ambient temperature is below 0 degrees C."

This may not be true on the 20,000 series cars, the compressor clutch relay picks up its ground connection via pin 7 of the Air conditioning unit micro-processor plug 18-way - right hand.

Jim
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 05:06 PM

On the Silver Shadow the compressor pulley is always spinning when the engine is running but the compressor clutch is not engaged until the air-con switch on the dashboard is turned to "auto" i.e., when air-con is selected. The rest of the time the compressor pulley is simply spinning but not compressing or circulating refrigerant. I suspect that the silver Spirit operates in a similar way.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 05:58 PM

Garage
Thanks Shadow 11 and Wraithman

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in