1980 Rolls Camargue - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

1980 Rolls Camargue

Hello everyone!

Im in the market for a 1979-1986 Camargue.
I live in the USA.

Is the USA emissions version with carburetors harder to maintain than a European version?

I.E. Cat converter, emissions equipment, air pumps, etc.

Are the fuel injected cars much better than the carbonated ones?

Many thanks
JWW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:27 PM

If you find a car delivered to California for the 1980 model year, it would be fuel injected. My 1980 Wraith is a CA car and uses Bosch FI and it is trouble free.
It has no air pump, and less hoses, etc. I believe a 1980 car of any make, as long as it will pass a safety inspection, will not have to be tested for emissions. Check CA DMV.

1980 SWII LRL-41587C FInj
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114 Harkness RR
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:06 PM
Phantom

Any of the cars of the 1980 model year delivered to California with fuel injection that are of the SY series will have a C at the end of their chassis numbers (just like Wraithman's does).

Once you get into the SZ (1981 and onward), the only two of which still having "SY Dress" being the Corniche and Camargue, I think that all US delivered versions have fuel injection. I know that there are early SZ era cars that have SU and Solex carbs, but I don't think these were delivered to the US market.

Virginia imposes emissions inspections in a couple of counties and cities that surround Washington, DC, but even there the following exemption applies: "
Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year.
" I think most jurisdictions that have emissions inspections exempt antique vehicles, but always consult the official documents in your jurisdiction.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:59 PM

For example in NY; 20 yrs or older is safety only, no emissions testing.

1980 SWII LRL-41587C FInj
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114 Harkness RR
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 12:14 AM
Phantom

And in Virginia, just FYI, if one has the car registered as an antique vehicle (and it must be the same age as for the emissions exemption before one can do that) there is no safety inspection, either.

I have to believe that the legislators in the Virginia General Assembly looked at the loss data on antique vehicles as a result of safety failures, which is almost zero, and crafted the law accordingly. One of the reasons that antique/vintage auto insurance is so inexpensive, even for very expensive cars with agreed value coverage, is because the loss rates are so very, very low. Most owners of these vehicles baby them or don't drive them if they're not roadworthy.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode