Getting Into Rolls & Bentley - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Getting Into Rolls & Bentley

After a lifetime of working on British and Italian sports cars I am looking to drive at a much more modest pace. I always wanted a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow hard top coupe, so I have decided to start the process of looking for one. I used to work on Lotus cars right next to a shop in LA (Chatsworth) that serviced Rolls Royce in 1979-1980. I picked up an appreciation for the cars by occasionally lending a hand for jobs that required some extra assistance to the lead mechanic. Oddly enough, I forget the name of the shop. On the other side was another shop that made all the trinkets you buy at the Tiajuana border while waiting in line for customs. Really, all that stuff was NOT made in Mexico! Maybe some of you can remember the shop. We had a lot of fun talking about the movie stars who would bring their cars in, or usually get them towed in. I learned that movie stars were "risky business" because it was difficult to collect payment from them, a lesson I relearned when I opened my own shop in the Bay Area years later. Anyway, you will soon see me posting for advice about certain cars for sale that pop up in in the market place. Fortunately I live right where most of these cars were originally sold in Southern California. I look forward to meeting some of you who live in the SoCal area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 03:56 PM

Welcome to the forum Carock & good luck in your search.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:52 PM
Phantom

Welcome!

I would really suggest you consider joining the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club (US), at least for a year or two, and try to limit your search for a car to those being sold by club members. The main reason I say this is because your odds of finding a good example, properly maintained, and with maintenance records, is better that way.

Although I love having maintenance records I have found that anything that dates from 5 years or more prior to now is not particularly useful in terms of assessing the current maintenance status of the car. If someone is using the car, and driving it even if only for recreation, you will see maintenance records indicative of that use, e.g., regular oil changes, cooling system flush and fill (if the car has not been converted to lifetime coolant), tire rotations/replacements, and the like. Seeing that a car has had regular recreational use and maintenance, and has the mileage indicative of same, is one of your best indicators as to the roadworthiness of the vehicle.

Given where you live I would also have a pre-purchase inspection on any car you are considering by a qualified RR mechanic. Download the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation and look for the mechanics in your area. I have it broken out by state.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:20 AM

Welcome, it's a slippery slope
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Well, I signed up with the club. I will try to go to an event soon.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 07:36 AM
Phantom

Garage
Thing is getting into RR/B is like ' You can check out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'
Lol
Mike

chassis 27650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode