New owner of 82 silver spur - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

New owner of 82 silver spur

I have this beautiful 82 silver spur bit the rear struts are leaking bad. The green ball things in the trunk were replaced but struts are bad. Can they be rebuilt or where can I find a semi cheap set? Thanks in advance for your help 😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Phantom

Hi Steve, and welcome

Love the technical jargon, those green balls are the accumulators.

I sourced a set of rear shocks a few months ago for an owner of a Spur and got them from a low mileage damaged car at a breakers with frontal damage. Not too bad a price secondhand.

I don't really know of anyone that rebuilds struts/shocks or even if they could be.

Where are you US or UK or Canada or or it helps

Steve (me a Steve too)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:11 PM
Phantom

Steve,

Those "green balls" while they are accumulators, for sure, are not called that in the RR literature. Crewe reserved that term for the green balls (sometimes grey) used for the brakes that are located in the engine bay. If you are looking at the Workshop or Parts Manuals for the car searching on "gas springs" is what will find you exactly what you need.

If you have leaks from the actual strut where the fluid return union goes in, see this post, Leaking rear ram line, on the Australian forums.

You will definitely want to have a look at:

1. The Bentley Heritage site, specifically: https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/e...rary/1980-1998

2. The RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library, specifically: SZ Series: Silver Spur & Spirit, Bentley Mulsanne, Turbos, Continental R & Derivatives (1980-2000)

3. and both RROC-Australia Tee-One Topics Archive
Tee-One Topics Master Index File

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm in the US, Phoenix Arizona to be exact! I appreciate any help you can give!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:07 AM
Phantom

Download the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation, and search on "Arizona." You've actually got a well-regarded RR mechanic in Phoenix (or at least did, no one has ever reported that he's gone).

There's lots of assistance to be had here. Having the SZ Chassis Number Derivation from VIN is helpful to any potential assistant, as the chassis number can be very important when determining exactly what advice to give.

Your technical questions as time marches on should be posted in the SZ Motorcars 1980 - 2003 Technical Assistance forum. That's where they'll get the attention you want from those who know them best.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode