Thank you Wraithman! 🙂 I don’t have a service manual I’ve ordered one. The wiper rack normally pulls out but seems locked in place. I’ve removed the wiper motor arm cover - disassembled the arm and plastic wheel, cleaned the grease out (to replace) as I’ve read the grease can be the cause of the motor arm sticking. Went to remove the rack to grease it and it seems to be stuck solid 😕 That is where I feel the trouble is.
Welcome.......it helps to know the exact model of your car and chassis number.
The wiper rack assembly....that is as what I call the wiper rack assembly in UK cannot be removed it is all part of the wiper wheel boxes and attached solid under the facia/dash.
What can be removed is the wiper motor and worm drive cable as an assembly that threads through to the wiper boxes.
To do this though you have to part the outer carrier tube from the end of the wiper motor. Remove the windscreen wipers completely and than the whole motor and inner worm drive will pull out.
If this inner worm drive cable is solid and cannot be pulled out then it will be the wiper wheelbox shafts siezed.
Before going into further detail on what to do next it would help to understand exactly what your problem is and exactly what you are trying to do.
I always replace the drive cable so the wiper box teeth end up 180 degrees opposite as only half the wheelbox teeth get used so always worth marking the position of the shafts before removing and then work on replacing to get them on new teeth.
The motor feels like it’s working, it also is making noise, but connected it doesn’t seem to be moving anything. The rack when moved by hand (in other cars I’ve tinkered with) usually moves the arms. This one refuses to move or be removed 😕 that’s where I think the problem is. It won’t pull out so I can’t replace it even if I bought a replacement.
I saw after you posted 😕 lol 😂 it can sit in the car and look pretty now it’s on the way.
Something is going wrong at the moment on the site as words are getting replaced with asterisks and a lot of strange short codes which may be smarticons not translating so there were quite a few words did not come through.
Anyway got to see your first post and the cars a Shadow 1 so as a 1971 it is just typical british Lucas wiper boxes.
The whole of the wiper arm comes off a splined shaft but you need to pull the arm off the window to relieve the spring pressure slight pressure is needed then just to allow the arm assembly to pull off straight. If well stuck there is a small gap under the arm where you can just get a flat screwdriver underneath and gently twist it to assist the lift off. That said I have seen these virtually so corroded they can be very difficult....one area I regularly take them off and grease. As well every year I wrap some gaffa tape around the chrome on the scuttle and make a funnel then leave some oil to drain through overnight. I have also had to do this for owners using release oil when shafts have corroded internally which it appears maybe your problem.
You should be able to test this though as there is some backlash in the wiper wheelbox teeth and usually you can see the shafts move a little if you jiggle the wiper arms.
Has the vehicle been standing a long time unused.
To pull the motor and worm drive cable you need to release the nut at the end of the outer tube attached to the motor then if wiper arms off and motor bracket removed the whole motor comes out with the worm drive cable attached.
Hope this helps.
Pictures are typical what you should see.
Lots of technical help if you need to rebuild the motor but the wheelboxes are an absolute pain and a big job.
No problem with PM's but it helps to get everyones opinions so I will respond again here.
The inner shafts on these Lucas type wiper wheelboxes are a known problem to corrode and sieze up.
It is not always necessary to have to change the unit 'thankfully' as it is a huge task and even worse on a RR. I have done many on Lotus and MGB's and even these need dash out but so much can get disturbed.
Usually they can be freed up with some gentle persuasion and NO force. To start with I make a funnel shape around the inner spindle but the gaffa tape is stuck to the outer chrome cap. It ends up looking like a dogs head sticking out of one of those vets collars to stop them scratching. This allows a little puddle of penetrating fluid to be put in the make shift funnel and left to soak down overnight so it gets between the inner spindle and outer. You may have to do this for a couple of days and gently try to free the spindle. It will not turn obviously as the worm drive is holding against the wheelbox teeth but there is usually enough backlash to eventually just keep jiggling each of the wiper arms and you should get to free them up.
Indeed I have never not been able to and only had to change the wiper boxes when damage to the splined end has occured. So it is important not to be too harsh on the splines.
Hope this helps for now and with a bit of luck it may only just be one of them sticking. When freed up then put some oil down in the taped funnel and do this yearly and you should then not have future problems.