New to the forum - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to rrguy49 Send a message via Yahoo to rrguy49
New to the forum

Hello fellow enthusiasts! I literally stumbled upon this forum just this evening, and after reading a few threads realized it is an additional valuable resource and unhesitatingly signed up. I have been a Rolls-Royce and Bentley enthusiast since the early Sixties. I first joined the RROC in 1971 and maintained my membership through 1978, when for a variety of reasons, none of them very good, I let it lapse until 2001, when I realized a lifelong ambition and became the custodian of LSGE214, a black 1958 Silver Cloud standard steel saloon. In 2005 I became the second custodian of LAX01699, a 1998 Silver Seraph. An unfortunate change of circumstances forced me to part with them several years later, but an eventual return to normalcy allowed me to very recently become the custodian of SAK25950, a marvelously maintained low mileage for its age 1989 Silver Spirit as an appropriate seventieth birthday present to myself. Now I can say I've owned an example of each of the three post-war engine types that have powered our favorite cars-the splendid F-head straight six in its final 4.9 liter form, the ultimate development of the first "small horsepower" model, the Twenty, of 1922; the sublime aluminium alloy V-8 introduced in 1959 and in greatly modified form still providing yeoman service until quite recently; and a superlatively smooth, modern V-12. The Spirit shares my garage with my other "toy", an excellent 30k mile 1993 Cadillac Allante. My daily driver is a 2015 Cadillac ATS sedan, which I consider the best all-around car I've ever owned. Over the years I've owned some other interesting iron as well-over a dozen Cadillacs and LaSalles of various vintages, Corvettes, BMW, Packard, and other obscure examples of vintage American iron. I do as much of my own maintenance and repair work as possible and don't mind at all getting my hands dirty when unavoidable. The climate here in North Carolina allows us to enjoy our "toys" year 'round-even convertibles with the top down, which is why I relocated here 15 years ago. Life is good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:25 AM

Welcome to the forum RRGuy49 and continued happy motoring.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:01 AM
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrguy49 View Post
Hello fellow enthusiasts! I do as much of my own maintenance and repair work as possible and don't mind at all getting my hands dirty when unavoidable.

Hi and welcome..some excellent vehicles owned..............no problem getting hands dirty........ the problem is getting your hands into some of the places.

I see now see whenever I go into a garage or tyre shop all the technicians wear the vinyl/latex gloves. I have tried these and they last about 2 minutes before my fingers poke out the ends and trying to get small nuts started just impossible.

I noticed on the old series of Wheeler Dealers Edd China never used to wear them but on the later series he is always seen with them on.

All the fun of classic cars

Steve

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 09:04 AM

Before using nitrile gloves, XL size for me, I used "Invisible Glove" . It's a cream you massage into both hands, palms, nails, etc and prevents ingress of grease. It is not slimy and does a great job.

Using a 7+mil nitrile glove of good quality will hold up against gas and most liquids.

1980 SWII LRL-41587C FInj
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114 Harkness RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode