My First Post - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

My First Post

Greetings All

A quick introduction - I reside in Warwickshire, UK and recently purchased a Silver Shadow. Have been looking for a classic car for over a year and took the plunge on a Rolls Royce. Details are in my signature. I’m very proud to own this car She’s currently in storage over the winter but will be used over the summer - hoping to attend shows and take on holidays in France.Spending my time learning as much as possible 👍
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E2C41153-56DB-4063-9565-0D5C27D7902D.jpeg (41.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg 047A021B-CCAD-4DA5-8204-1533DB832C30.jpeg (25.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpeg 7D22B33B-D140-4133-B357-B2FB678C1402.jpeg (24.9 KB, 27 views)

Silver Shadow 1976,
Chassis SRH25478,
Royal Garnet,
First 10yrs used exclusively for Royal duties running members of the Royal family about whilst on official visits,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 05:09 PM

Welcome. There is much to learn about these cars, and given where you live you should at least look in to joining the RREC.

I have always loved the colors in the burgundy family, and I doubt there are many in actual Royal Garnet in existence.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #3 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi Brian - yes, Northamptonshire is just around the corner so will be looking to join.

My daily runner is a LR discovery which I do all basic mechanical work on at home. Eg. Rotors & pads, callipers, hubs & bearings, air-bags etc but I can see already that the Shadow is quite complex. I’ve been going through RollsRoyceNut videos on YouTube and reading through old threads on here.

Also have an old workshop manual that makes great bedside reading.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63E161E0-E9B9-4F74-8366-3CBC90353FAD.jpg (143.1 KB, 15 views)

Silver Shadow 1976,
Chassis SRH25478,
Royal Garnet,
First 10yrs used exclusively for Royal duties running members of the Royal family about whilst on official visits,

post #4 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 06:53 PM

Hi Jonathan, Your beautiful motorcar is actually registered as a Silver Wraith and if that is the case it would be a rarer find, in addition the colour is probably even rarer. I note from the MOT history that it has an impeccable pass rate and that the mileage travelled between annual tests has been minimal. Due to the need for lubrication of the hydraulic components on these cars regular use is preferred so I would recommend that you drive it when possible rather than placing it in long term storage, the more they are driven the better they tend to perform. The hydraulic/brake fluid required is Castrol DOT3 RR363 as this has the required additives for lubrication of the hydraulic pumps, this fluid should be flushed and replaced every 2 years (to fill it takes 2 1/2 litres in total) and the hydraulic flexi hoses should be replaced every 8 years or thereabouts. Lack of use can also cause carburettor float needles to stick open as with any carburettor in any car. Otherwise these are robust and powerful motorcars and may you enjoy many years of happy motoring with it. If you're a hands-on DIY enthusiast you will get great advice from helpful members on this site.
post #5 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

...that’s interesting. Could I ask where you found that information from? The V5 doesn’t have anything listed for Type or Variant and the VIN seems to suggest it’s Standard rather than Long Wheelbase?

Silver Shadow 1976,
Chassis SRH25478,
Royal Garnet,
post #6 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Hi Jonathan, I just googled MOT History Check GOV UK and keyed in the car reg no, then went to the previous MOT history section which gives records for the past 10 years. It's a public site which is available to all. The only record of any advisories in the past with regard to your car are minor things like brake light failure and a damaged tyre. It's recorded as being a Silver Wraith but this could be an error, hopefully it's the correct classification as this would make the car a rarer find.
post #7 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

...thank you for the compliments on the car. It is indeed beautiful and hard to look away from. I have the car stored in an air-flow chamber so hoping that will negate most condensation issues. Callipers, hoses and brake fluid has just recently been replaced/serviced so hopefully will be trouble free for a while. There is a light tapping from one of the pumps when cold which I may look into when the days get warmer. Hoping it just needs a clean and the pushrods replacing and shims.

I will look to do short drives maybe once a month just to keep components in motion. ��

Cheers

Silver Shadow 1976,
Chassis SRH25478,
Royal Garnet,
post #8 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

...i’m pretty sure it’s an error. Reading the wiki page ->

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll..._Silver_Shadow

...it would need to be a Wraith II ?

Also, mine does’t have the Everflex roof or smaller rear window?

Silver Shadow 1976,
Chassis SRH25478,
Royal Garnet,
post #9 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:32 PM

A light tapping from a brake pump is a fairly normal occurrence on initial start-up especially if the car hasn't been driven for a while, it usually lasts for approx. 4 minutes until brake pressure reaches optimum level. Once the required pressure is achieved the accumulator control valve opens and releases fluid back to the reservoir and the pumps no longer need to work so hard. Sometimes a continuous tapping noise indicates that there's air in the system but if the noise stops after a few minutes it's probably nothing to worry about.
post #10 of 170 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

...i’m learning everyday. Thank you. ��

Silver Shadow 1976,
Chassis SRH25478,
Royal Garnet,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode