2004 Bentley Continental GT - blown head gasket - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

2004 Bentley Continental GT - blown head gasket

Hello,
I purchased a 2004 Bentley Continental GT sight unseen and after paying $1,000 for diagnostics, the repair shop came back that I had a blown head gasket and needed an entirely new engine for 17K! This was quite a shock for me!

First, does a blown head gasket require a completely new engine? If so, $17K with labor seems quite excessive to me especially when I see engines online for $6 - $8k. Does this sound correct? I'm thinking about getting a second opinion.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Regards,
lemonap618
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:44 AM

This is what happens when vehicles are purchased online, thru auctions, sight unseen. A car like this with the potential of having so many issues and the cost to cure factor, it's imperative to have them checked beforehand. Due to the nature of the W head design, the rebuild will be costly. Buying one from a dismantler or "online" will put you in the same position as when you bought the car in the first place.

Get a second opinion to confirm.

LRL-41587C
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Very bad news.
I think you should start immediately an official procedure against the seller and the auction house, even if online.

Yes, very bad idea to buy eyes wide shut...
You are a typical example of the possible disaster

A new engine is surprising, but maybe this is the way for the W12. Or it is seriously dammaged.
Usually on old Bentley V8, for example, they overhaull you engine.

Yes, you should see an expert to have a second and maybe a third opinion

Where are you located ?

97 Continental R

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:42 PM

Auctions state that cars can be sold in 'as is' condition or with guarantee. High end cars like this are usually sold in as is condition because they have inherent risk. Personal responsibility is a thing here and if the owner bought it from a dealer auction in as is condition, he owns it with its problems.

While I have no experience with the W12 Bentley's. $11k for an engine swap. Assuming about $10,000 labor + $1,000 of supplies @ $175/hr , it would be around 57 hours which might be in the money for an engine that's crammed in there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Garage
The "official" line is that, blown head gaskets on the W12 is a new engine job. If you go to the main dealer, they wont sell you gaskets.

But Flying Spares have now sourced head gaskets for this engine and I would strongly recommend you call them.

https://www.flyingspares.com/shop/be...d-gaskets.html

1996 model year Continental R 53165

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode