Restoring a beaty 1973 Silver Shadow 1 - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Question Restoring a beaty 1973 Silver Shadow 1

Hello im new to this forum website this is the best RR forum on line.
Yeah so just got this to restore it 1973 Silver Shadow Beautiful color about a month and a half ago too many stuff to write right now what work i did to it, so anyways did the master cylinder for the rear brakes got the original kit from England, and everything went good even clean out the reservoir which was clogged topped of with new DOT3 and Castor oil and all, bleed all the breaks like i was told, clean fluid was coming out.
pump the pedal for rear break the bottom bleeder not the top it went fine and bleed the other rest with the pedal to the floor with car running bleeding pressure is good.
Tested on the side street for like half hour works fine, but the problem i have with the breaks when i try to go on the freeway the rear breaks locked up and the break pedal went up and stiff but i was try to press the hard couple of times and it let go thank God, any one had this problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg master-cylinder-breaks.jpg (179.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg master-cylinder-breaks (3).jpg (313.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190717_121923.jpg (280.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20190807_171244.jpg (298.8 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Most likely junk in the "G" valve or the master is not returning to rest all the way. Also, old brake (not break) hoses should be replaced. All the brake components are sensitive to even the smallest junk. Hoses break down internally and as a result the fluid becomes polluted with small rubber and often has a grey color.
Jack the rear under the differential , not the crossmember, and bleed the rear calipers. If it frees the wheels you know there is blockage.
Also the factory service manuals should be read. They explain how everything on the car is serviced.

LRL-41587C
post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Master cylinder Adjustment

Sorry about that missed spelling the brakes it was late last night Wraithman and thanks for your help on this issue. Well the RR has 95,654 miles on it or so and i just got this car to work on, in the past some other mechanic was working on it he did some stuff that i don't like that he did on it, so im right trying to correct the problems which it sucks for me but any ways the rear high control doesn't work at all from the previous mechanic. had the master cyl rebuild and it was giving good pressure but one think that i missed i guess i didn't adjust the operation rod on the master cyl, i finally found the right web site for it and the prints are clear, im going to adjust the rod to the specific spec as on the picture. then jack up the rear end bleed and see if they lock up again. One more thing will the rear levering system not working will cause the master brake sys to lock up??? I think it has nothing to do with the master brakes
(not sure what is the "G" valve or location, i have the pic of the whole sys)
thank you for your help

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.pdf(1).jpg (163.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 7.pdf(2).jpg (127.5 KB, 10 views)

post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Master cylinder locked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrolls View Post
hello im new to this forum website this is the best rr forum on line.
yeah so just got this to restore it 1973 silver shadow beautiful color about a month and a half ago too many stuff to write right now what work i did to it, so anyways did the master cylinder for the rear brakes got the original kit from england, and everything went good even clean out the reservoir which was clogged topped of with new dot3 and castor oil and all, bleed all the breaks like i was told, clean fluid was coming out.
Pump the pedal for rear brakes the bottom bleeder not the top it went fine and bleed the other rest with the pedal to the floor with car running bleeding pressure is good.
Tested on the side street for like half hour works fine, but the problem i have with the breaks when i try to go on the freeway the rear brakes locked up and the break pedal went up and stiff but i was try to press the hard couple of times and it let go thank god, any one had this problem?

sorry about the spelling
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 PM

Hi Dan, Your situation is very common, ie previous mechanic trying to work on a Rolls and has no clue. You are on the right path coming here for accurate advicea and direction. The G valve controls rear wheel lock-up during sudden braking and is known to hang up with debris because it is in the rear brake circuit. The height control system is part of circuit #2 and is mostly passive unless passengers or a load is in the trunk and triggered into fast mode via the height control solenoid valve letting in hi pressure to compensate for the weight.
Completely separate from both brake circuit but shares the pressure and rear reservoir.

LRL-41587C
post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Ok so this seems right that is the G-valve ill try to find it and rebuild it. here are some pictures of it not sure the right location but i can match it wit the pictures or trace the brake lines on the return to the system.

thank you sir
Attached Images
File Type: gif Brakepressure tekst.gif (8.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 3636be_a142439f35e8459aab83aabd76aacdbf.jpg (70.5 KB, 6 views)
post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrolls View Post
ok so this seems right that is the g-valve ill try to find it and rebuild it. Here are some pictures of it not sure the right location but i can match it wit the pictures or trace the brake lines on the return to the system.

Thank you sir

(but i should still adjust the master cylinder rod?)
post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jim Walters
G valve is on the rat trap directly above the master cylinder. Yes you should adjust the master pushrod to have some free play. While you're in there, make sure both of the distribution valves have clearance too and that one is not hanging up. That could be the cause of rear brakes staying on as could collapsed rear flex hoses. They collapse inside and act as one way valves.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com
post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jim Walters
I wouldn't bother with the G valve until you have free play on the master pushrod and have checked rear hoses. Both are more likely to be the issue rather than the G valve.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com
post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Upate BRAKES

Just an update of this brake situation that im having, so i had some time to check out the problem which i adjusted the master cylinder rod it was in,,, about a quarter of an inch, then i tried to bleed the master brakes to find out that the passenger side break caliper is leaking now, and thats why i have a partial break failed light on, need to rebuild it and get new break pads y any good web site for parts for the Silver Shadow? (And yes all the flex brake lines been change)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode