Restoring a beaty 1973 Silver Shadow 1 - Page 3 - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

OK THANKS Wraithman I mean i polished them and there very smooth and measured them that the rust spot is above the seal, only 2 of them were like that, on both calipers the other were fine, im not really worry about them (calipers) im more worry that the car its stock in my garage because of the G valve body lol ill try to call my local dealership for the seal but i doubt it, if the rebuild people can get the seal so that means there around, what you think Sir??

PS ill look around for the G valve, no way around this i guess

Last edited by danielrolls; 09-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

OHG i found it check it out

i mean for that price i can get the whole think for flyingspars lol

https://replacementpartsinc.com/1966...tion-g-valves/

Last edited by danielrolls; 09-29-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #23 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Replacement Parts has a listing for the rebuild kit but no inventory. Best to call them to check. Also, check Alber's in Zionsville and the usual UK sources.

1980 SWII LRL-41587C FInj
1976 SS LWB LRE-23114 Harkness RR

post #24 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

yeah i see that, and ill call Zionsville thank you
post #25 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 02:13 PM

Daniel,

I will call Flying Spares UK in the morning and post here what the situation is so look in on the thread.

I know their delivery services worldwide are good but complicated if you have to send the old one back if doing an exchange.

I am sure I can find out where they are getting the refurbs done if they do not have stock of the kits.

Steve
post #26 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 03:44 PM
Vendor

G-valve seals

After waiting for what seemed to be an interminably long time for kits to be available from the usual suspects, I commissioned a run of G valve seals myself. They are are made from the correct EPDM material and in the correct durometer hardness rating. It was patterned after my own NOS Girling g-valve seal that has been in stock for a couple of years. I am still waiting to receive the square o-ring that seals the plug but they will be here soon. If you want to just replace the "tire" seal and get your car back on the road, I'll send you a seal ASAP.

New G-valve seal kits will be available on my site as soon as the plug seal arrives.

[email protected]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0359.jpg (113.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0360.jpg (129.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Kelly Opfar; 09-29-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spell check
post #27 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrolls View Post
OK THANKS Wraithman I mean i polished them and there very smooth and measured them that the rust spot is above the seal, only 2 of them were like that, on both calipers the other were fine, im not really worry about them (calipers) im more worry that the car its stock in my garage because of the G valve body lol ill try to call my local dealership for the seal but i doubt it, if the rebuild people can get the seal so that means there around, what you think Sir??

PS ill look around for the G valve, no way around this i guess
Keep in mind that when new brake pads are installed, the pistons will rest deeper in the bore, and possibly seal right where the rusty spots are, causing leaks in binding.
The rusty areas contain old brake fluid that can never be drawn out if the rusted steel.
Even after cleaning, the hygroscopic brake fluid will draw in moisture and the rust problem will always continue.
Once it's starts to snow-ball it will eventually contaminate the new fluid.
It's best to deal with the rusted pistons.

Last edited by Jeff R 1; 09-29-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #28 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 12:30 AM

Daniel,

Kelly's workmanship and quality are renowned across these forums. You will certainly be in safe hands and much simpler getting the parts from the UK.

I will follow up though with Flying Spares to see what they say as both with them and Introcar so many parts now seem 'out of stock' or on back order.

It is good though to see you sorted out.

All the best

Steve
post #29 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:42 AM

Sorry that should read ''and much simpler THAN getting parts from the UK''

I was timed out before I could do a correction.

Steve
post #30 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you fellas i appreciate your help this Silver Shadow will never be a %100 but dont hurt to try as long as you have extra nerves.
I will start with Steve first flyingspers has this G Valve but cost like $200 thats my last resort to but it when i have one just needs this tiny tire seal lol and 4 get about Zionsville they charge too much but ill call tomorrow to verify how much it is and how much with shipping,....

Jeff R 1 appreciate your help and advice yeah i know what you means they absorb moisture from the atmosphere under normal humidity levels and you kno your stuff for now there ok but will order new ones from flyingspars. only 2 of them were bad and like i said the rust was above the seal the rotors kind of worn out ill try my luck right now i just want brakes to work im not going to take the calipers back off right again i dont have a lift and stuff like other people do so its sucks and my garage is kind of pack up lol,,, the pistons are cheap to buy.. Ps this Rolls had and still have more problems to deal with other mechanics screw with it, so of my lease problem is to worry about a little rust on the a piston,, if the rust was below the inner seal then i would like to change it. thank you Jeff

Thank you Kelly the funny thing is that why i cant find a small tire seal i guess because the car is old, and you fell out of the sky that you make them or have them in stock for now i need that one maybe 2 of them i mean why buy the whole G valve that only needs a tire seal.
ill email you tomorrow on how to pay for it or ill call you so u can ship it to US asap thank got for this forum good people that like to help out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode