Greetings all Members, Moderators and Administrators!
I recently acquired a 1967 Silver Shadow a little over a week ago. I acquired this car in Whole and intact from a gentleman out in Long Island. His name is Michael Cantino and he had the car since new. 28,996 Original miles on the dash and it sat for over 3 years. (Last inspected in 2016)
I was in company with him, his sons and Rolls-Royce enthusiasts who buys olds Rolls and Bentley’s and “flips them” for profit. However I’m looking to keep this car at least for as long I can afford it. The owner (Mike) said:
“the brake system was either drained or leaked out. It needs a full tune up, as well as new gas and oil.”
Seems simple enough. He sold me the vehicle for $600. Yes you read that right. Six-Hundred dollars and zero cents! He also was nice enough to have his AAA to tow the car over to my place. Now FFWD to the weekend, myself and my
Cousin mechanic got straight to work on the car.
What has been done:
• Drained the old fuel
• Poured Techtron fuel treatment
• Poured Fleet water removal
• Poured Marvel Mystery Oil (1/2 in gas, 1/2 in engine oil. Of course after draining of the oil)
• Drained engine oil. (Took almost 45 minutes, very “gookey” Dirty and tinted. Took a pump and pushed out whatever remnants that may remain until the engine and it’s clear)
• Drained old coolant and poured new coolant.
• Poured in new 10W-30 Castrol GTX motor oil (recommended from the Flying Spares website)
• Poured In JB oil conditioning treatment
• Removed Old Spark Plugs.(wire brush cleaned the terminals)
• Replaced new spark plugs and gapped to the specs.
• Replaced distributor cap and wires.
• Topped off the brake/hydraulic fluid with DOT 3 (I am aware of the RR363 fluid however, if it was truly a leak, I rather waste $9.00 on DOT 3 or 4 fluid than waste $48 dollars on RR363 if there is evident of a leak. So far no leaks after several pumps)
• Replaced the battery.
After having done all aforementioned, put the key in the ignition and for the first time in “3+ years” it cranked over but it doesn’t start or stay on. My cousin was glad but got nervous and decided not to work with me further with it because he’s caught up on the name and not want to bother with it anymore. So now I’m at a pass. Asking mechanics both elder, middle aged and young. Different opinions as to why it won’t Start.
One state, it’s the fuel filter(s). Second one stated, it could be the fuel pump, if you can’t hear it turn on then that’s the culprit. Last one said, the carburetor can be clogged or dirty.
So, having said all that ( which could have been shortened, but I don’t like to blindside anyone who reads this. I’m pretty thorough.) what are your takes, tales, advice as to get this baby running again? I do have video of the car cranking with great potential and no hesitation, but no start. Your input and opinions are utmost appreciated!
Looking to hear from you all soon!
-67 silver Shadow