Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Differential up-grade on a carb model

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  bentleyman22 
#1 ·
I have just finished the diff change from a 3.08 to a 2.28 from a turbo R,it was a little harder than I expected as I had to get the shaft cut & joined.
The car in far better,@ 12 mph on the speedo it is doing 16 as it changes into second,at 20/22 in second it is doing 30 as it changes gear into 3rd.On the motorway @ 45 on the speedo it is doing 60 mph.
The car is quietly,less revs,less wear,less oil,less fuel ( it should be 25 to 30% better on fuel costs) I use LPG @ 3.18 € a gallon @ 11.5/11.8 mpg,I expect 15/17 on lpg with this diff which should be equal to 30 mpg € for € on petrol.
I will post it as it happens.
I expect to get my money back in fuel saving in 4/6 months as I drive it 300/400 hundred miles a week
Kevin Deasy

#3 ·
Sorry I never answered your question (24/3/16)
The car went much better,as I drove it on motorways
@ 100/130 KLMS on a daily basis it was running @3000/3500 rpm
After the diff change it was @ 2200/3000 rpm.A quieter car,no vibrating,you could only hear
The wind at 130.it went like a rocket.
And doing 11.5 to 13 mpg on LPG (23 to 26) I have changed the car for a Spirit
Also on LPG.I won't change the diff as I only do 100/150 miles a week now
I live in Wicklow town & don't travel to Dublin every day as I retired in June.
Kevin

#6 ·
Depending on its age yours will be a 2.28 or a 2.69.
If it is a 2.28 & you want more acceleration the 2.69 should be a direct replacement ( I think) and be easy to do.
If it is the 3 speed box you could consider a 4 speed.
I intend to look at doing this to the next mark 2 Spirit or getting an o/d box built.

#7 ·
I would think it must be a rocket to go.How is it on gas with the 4 speed.

#10 ·
I'm guessing that with the renaming to US Shift that what used to be the OptiShift has now become the Quick 4 with the expansion of their line. [Unless it was the Quick 1, which is no longer made].

#12 ·
what i did was get rid of Lucas ignition as i love the car and i have owned it from 1990 i wanted to make it more user friendly
so out with the 5.3 3 speed in went 6.L 4 speed out went all the electrics and a stand alone Emerald stand alone ecu and the Q.4 out went the inboard rear brakes and in went the later outboard also all suspension is fully adjustable
also all sensors are Bosch so can be replaced any where in the world
so she is a happy Jag and both ECU's are programmable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.