Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Portugal

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mikebentleyturbo2 
#1 ·
Moving to Portugal in the near future. Anyone have a Rolls/Bentley there? I would appreciate any importing experiences or tips
Thx
Paul

#2 ·
Hi Paul, I tried importing a MB along with a Volvo into Mexico. Prior to I checked what vehicles were in fact allowed. Neither of the above were on the list. There may be a web page on what I just described regarding Portugal. Ended up bringing in a GM vehicle. The process. 1. Contacted an import broker on the US side. 2. Once there, we drove into Mexico with paperwork to receive approval from that check point. 3.They stamped, then we had to drive back to US side one last time. More stamps....4. Then crossed over with our USA vehicle turned into a Mexico approved car. 5. Purchased license plates and received a Mx title once we reached our final destination. ALSO, Vehicle must be 7 yrs old or beyond. Hopefully your experience will be a bit easier...
Enjoy Your New Adventure,
Todd

#3 ·
Thanks Todd,
It seems moving countries with cars is always a bit of a problem. Some want a CoC, and there isn't one for older cars. If it wasn't on the manufacturer's sales list in that country at that time its difficult. I dont know if this was or how to find out. I'll try a broker.

#5 · (Edited)
Yes there is, but quite complicated and some very recent changes. I wanted to find out from someone who had done it. I did find out from an ex-pat site. If you don't do it absolutely correctly with the correct qualification for you and the car, it doesn't matter what marque the car is, its the engine capacity. At 6.7 litres, it could be as much as 60,000 US tax. I dont think there can be a lot of high capacity cars in Portugal unless they're really old. No-one on the forum with an RR there replied although I did hear that there is one. That usually that means someone goes there on vacation a lot.

#6 ·
Hi Paul, do you move from Belgium to Portugal right? Where are you from? I am very often in Brussels during working days.
How old is our RR? If is over 25 years basically it is very light way how to register there (as classic car) after registration to local club. If is not over 25 years I will drive on BE plates till this age comes

#7 ·
Hello there SS. That is correct. UK. There are different registrations regulations for "O" plates in the different provinces, but that is not the problem in Belgium. Mine is '89, has an (O)ldtimer plate, and was registered before 2017 so qualifies fully for reduced circulation tax. Its the Low Emission Zone Regulations and the Mobiliteit (mobility) programs that are the problem - at least for me, and possibly a lot of others are getting a bit fed up with it as well. The goal of mobiliteit is to progressively minimise private vehicle traffic of every type, and LEZ the pollution. To achieve this, roads are being narrowed, pavements widened, street parking spaces reduced without building any new garage space, and LEZs are being expanded. People have been forced to junk their cars. This might all be fine if the public transport system hadn't been "re-organized", you are not a resident, paying city taxes and could apply for exemptions, but you can't. So every time my car or a friend's is caught on camera, its a whacking fine. This applies to all cars registered in Belgium or not, the only problem being that the cameras can not pick up some foreign plate registrations. Where they can, they will send you a bill, but it might just take a bit longer. I would be careful about reading the LEZ signs if I were you. Somewhat annoyingly, the battle on emissions does not extend to scooters, the ring roads, the sea ports, the airports, or down people's oil-fired central heating vents.

#9 ·
Reliable.....Jeeps regularly make the worst vehicle list....I have an older one for running around and winter driving and it has been fine and would not recommend one. I would stay with Honda or Toyota if you're looking for something reliable. Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.