RR genuine parts - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

RR genuine parts

Is there any shop which sells ALL GENUINE parts (so all parts which are installed in the car) for years between 1980 and 1989? Thanks, Samo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:23 PM

Flying Spares and Introcar Ltd both in the UK.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

So they have literally all parts? Sorry to ask again but I must be 100% sure not only 99,99%. Thanks.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:41 AM

If you want 100 % guenine part in R-R / Bentley packing, you need to buy to a R-R / Bentley dealer, because FX and Intro C, they have guenine and after market, and many seals or other parts are aftermarket.

I would not have they have all parts as some are no more available, and will be aftermarket or used.
It depends what you are looking on.

Could you detail why you ask this in order we understand your concern .

97 Continental R
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:46 AM

Hi,

No one sells ALL genuine parts available for every part.

However thankfully companies like Flying Spares and Introcar who started out breaking RR/B to get us 'useable parts' to keep our cars on the road. They also got certain used original parts rebuilt/remanufactured and these are a useful source again to keep our cars on the road.

As cars for breaking up slowly became less available both companies moved into supplying 'patterned parts' indeed some of these were from the original suppliers to RR/B and are good quality. Both companies also have arrangements now as a 'tier' supply of RR/B genuine parts.

However IMHO both companies also have in the past had patterned parts that are not so good and often been copied and made abroad cheaply in the usual countries we know of.

I have had problems with coils, capacitors, rubbers, hydraulic lifters and a few others that frankly have failed within weeks/months.

Where possible I buy used parts from the RR/B breakers and then refurbish them.

I have been doing this for over 30 years and indeed did a lot for FS on various parts back when the first started up as they were local to where I lived at the time.

Indeed I totally replaced virtually every part on my RR SS1 with the help of Ben (owner of FS) at FS. He would give me the parts I needed which I would refurbish then fit to my car. I would then refurbish the part off my car and give it back to him to sell on.

No real cash passed between us and when parts were required like service kits for SU pumps, the Saginaw steering pump, chips for the VDO clocks, Lucas stepper motors etc.... he would supply these with the parts to be refurbished.

I still do a lot of this work for friends and club members but being retired I would never have the capacity to service this amount of work anymore, especially how you see the size the two companies have grown in the past 30 years too.

I still do RR clock repairs (not the VDO quartz as no one will sell me the 'chips'), SU Pumps, window regulators and several other items and keep a full stock of fully refurbished parts but I do not sell on commercially just for friends and club members.

So in brief you just cannot get 100% genuine parts anymore for every part on the cars and the car manufacturers actually are not legally liable to provide these anyway after a certain period.

Hope this helps but interested why you ask...........

Steve
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Jean7, Steve E, thanks.

My question has a simple background; I do not own a RR car ... yet. And to be honest, one of biggest reason for it is situation with parts. I do own 1992 S class Benz (500 SE) and I am spoiled: i open EPC base for parts on my computer and I order a new one or at least I have a part number which helps me to find a used part.

So my question was launched to check if i can get any part. Ok, I must admit that to me aftermarket parts (if good) is also acceptable. The problem is if one cannot find some part anywhere, and that was my question.

Steve's answer is long and educational. If I understand you, NOT all parts ((i)new genuine or aftermarket or (ii) refurbished) are available. So something is still not clear to me and this is a core of my question; what about the owners of RR car who take their car to the RR shop? Do they receive a comment from the shop head like this: "sorry Sir, we cannot find a part for your car because your car is too old."

Or: "Sorry Sir, we do not have genuine brake calipers (figured out just for example) for your car but we can install an aftermarket part made in Bangladesh."

So I hope my question is more clear now. Thanks.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:01 PM

Hi Samosali,

That is about how it is.

I often help source parts for my local garage when they get a RR/B in for work.

Here in UK we do have some superb garages that will look after your car and source 'suitable parts'.

When I was in France it was virtually impossible to find any garage to do work on my RR.......not that I wanted much from them anyway.

However parts can be sourced to keep these cars on the road and there are forum members who just about know every alternative that will assist.

I have a large stock of parts I built up but this was mainly for supporting my own RR knowing things get difficult to obtain at times.

You should not worry going after a RR for supporting parts but ensure you get help and understand what to look for before making a purchase.

Regards

Steve

Last edited by Steve E; 08-29-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Steve ... I wish I were you regarding RR cars and parts .

I will be on my own (not considering this forum) once I will be in a position to maintain the car. In addition, to be dependent on a forum makes me nervous, I guess I am not the only one.

Your answer tells much. Somehow I understand that if I am persistent and inventive (which I think I am) I will get parts but the way to get them may in many cases be different in comparison to my current situation (my Benz W140).

best, Samo
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:04 PM

Samo,

I own several classic cars including an old Ferrari, MGB and Lotus.

You should never feel you would be left on your own.

I have organised parts for RR owners all over the world that have not been able to source parts.

Even one owner who owned an old Chinese eye RR in Australia I sourced Piper window parts for him that are extremely rare and when limit switches were not available I found suitable alternatives and shipped these over.

Many forum members, me included will be happy to 'giveaway' parts to help keep other owners cars on the road.

You only have to search member Robert S (wraithman) and look at what he has achieved on his RR restoration.......it should be in a museum.

I do a lot for friends and club members and don't even charge....just ask they give a donation to an animal charity......and perhaps a bottle of whisky for me.

You will not be short of any support, but again it starts by buying right, as a bad purchase can cost a fortune to put right and end up costing more than paying the extra for a well sorted car in the first place.

I am always open to a few weeks working vacation if adequately kept fed and liquified..........
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:27 PM

Whether you own a W126 Mercedes or a Rolls Royce, nobody sells 'all genuine parts' , not even the dealer. If you'd like to take a look at the introcar or flying spares catalog, you'll find that it's very comprehensive and almost as detailed as EPC. Unless you're planning on building one from scratch, the combination of introcar / flying spares + dealer + dismantlers will get you everything you need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode