Tyres - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Tyres

A couple of years ago there were some interesting posts regarding tyres, good results were being obtained with Michelin latitude sport 3 104V. I have to change all four tyres as my existing are 25mm to big and the French authorities won't allow me to register my car !!
I am trying to find 4 new tyres 235/65 R16 ( minimum 103V )or 255/60 R16. The car is a '97 Brooklands and the 255/60 R16 was the option chosen when the car was made. If any one knows where I can obtain these tyres in France or UK I would be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:36 PM

Most are "R" rated.
Did a quick search and so far I can only find one with a "V" rating, but very expensive.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/cat...category/9173/

Last edited by Jeff R 1; 06-22-2018 at 01:42 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Jeff Thanks for taking the time. I found a few negative comments regarding the Avon and they are expensive. The problem seems to be my wheel size '16' The Michelin latitude are available in size 17. Maybe all the guys that were buying the latitude tyres had 17" wheels ? !!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:47 PM

What I've heard is that Avon tires give a very soft ride with vague steering, or at least compared to other tires such as Michelin.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:50 PM

There's lots to choose from here, from very inexpensive to more expensive, but none are Michelin Latitude and all have a speed rating at around 104 mph.

https://www.tirendo.co.uk/van-caravan/tyres/235-65-16/

Last edited by Jeff R 1; 06-22-2018 at 06:52 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Hi Jeff
Good website but not for Bentley tyres !
104 was the load index, I need min. 103
and a speed index of min 'V'

I am thinking of changing my wheels and moving up to 17" there is plenty of choice at 17" inc. the Latitude sport. Finding a good set of 17" wheels at a reasonable price might be the next problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Hi Jeff
Good website but not for Bentley tyres !
104 was the load index, I need min. 103
and a speed index of min 'V'

I am thinking of changing my wheels and moving up to 17" there is plenty of choice at 17" inc. the Latitude sport. Finding a good set of 17" wheels at a reasonable price might be the next problem.
Be very careful. My 96 Brooklands came with 18 inch wheels, had awful Hankook or Kumho tyres, and I found a nice set of 235 60 18 MICHELIN LATITUDEs and with only one inch more in the wheel's profile, the tyres foul the wheel arch at slow speeds every time I do any sort of slight turn at slow speed! And this was after a full suspension rebuild
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to bentleypartsusa Send a message via MSN to bentleypartsusa Send a message via Yahoo to bentleypartsusa
Avon Tyres invented its first motorcycle tyre in 1911 and has a rich tradition of Isle of Man TT victories on both two and three wheels as well as other motorcycling championships. John Surtees, Geoff Duke, Mike Hailwood and Barry Sheene have used and won on Avon tyres. Avon motorcycle tyres contain a number of advanced technological features, which have been developed and tested over many years. Avon tyres are very expensive.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Hi Hugh, I agree with the previous post. I raced against Hailwood and Agostini in the '60s at the Isle of Man. If memory serves me correctly I had Avon tires. Front AM 22's rear AM 23's.
They were expensive and still are but you are putting your life between yourself and the road. Well worth the investment.
Martin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode