Main    FAQ    Search    Links    Photo Gallery    Memberlist   Register    Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Log in 

Anyone have experience with shocks?

Start new topic   Reply to topic    Rolls-Royce and Bentley Home -> SY Series I and II 1965-1980
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrei-RRSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Anyone have experience with shocks? Reply with quote

hi All,

I have been looking at what is available as shock replacement for the shadows, and aside from part numbers i cant seem to find enough information on shocks, in relation to ride quality and comfort level.

I know some will preach to only buy original, which i usually prefer, but how different are the alternatives?

I have seen Bilstein, Boge Sachs as aftermarket options so far, with the Bilsteins being the stiffest and Boge Sachs following, then stock being the softest, but how noticeable is the difference?

Price wise you can get a set of Bilsteins for as low as 800, Boge seem to possibly be discontinued as of late, and Sachs are about the same as the factory prices.

Does anyone know who makes the factory shocks, or the ones being sold to us as factory shocks if Rolls Royce does not make them? I would have figured that they subcontract these type of parts, but i'm not informed on this topic. as a side note you can order the shock bushings from Bilstein for about 6 dollars a pair instead of 35 from RR

Andrei
RollsRoyceForums.com
Advertisement
guyslp
Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the latest:

Current Crewe-specified replacement shocks/dampers are
Front: Bilstein B46-1429
Rear: Bilstein B46-1430
[Note: These give a firmer ride than the original Boge]

Boge shocks were OEM. I do not know of any alternatives to the Boge or Bilstein shocks, but if you can definitively confirm that other functional equivalent exist then let us know.

The Bilstein numbers also apply to the SY series cars prior to the introduction of active ride.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' ~ Isaac Asimov
Andrei-RRSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sachs might have a shock, but I only figured it out through cross-referencing with other cars between brands. But the Sachs were double the price of bilsteins
Andrei-RRSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the link to the sachs shocks

http://www.bestsourceautoparts.com/catalog/Rolls-Royce/Rolls-Royce~Shock_Absorber~replacement.html

if you cross the years with the ones listed by bilstein, then sachs does have both front and rear shocks for our cars.
the rears are the first ones on the page and the fronts are the second ones listed. price is quite high, but i wonder what the quality is like

after some investigation i found that sachs does not make any, and the site listed the bilsteins under the sachs listing.

i guess the bilsteins are it
CliffB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more information here. I just replaced the original shocks in my '83 corniche with the Bilsteins referred to above.

The orignal shocks are Boge, also as indicated above, Boge part number 1-0073-46-050-1.

My orignal Boge shocks were pretty worn....still functional, but not providing a great level of damping. The Bilsteins seem like a well built shock, very heavy duty, fit properly, look exactly like the original Boge. The Bilsteins don't seem particularly stiff....it's a nice damped ride going down the road, still very comfortable, and not harsh in the least.

I machined my own spring compression tool (2-part) to facilitate the replacement of the Boge shocks with the Bilsteins. Machining the tool took as much time as the replacement of the shocks (or more) to be honest, but it worked well and made the job pretty manageable. I have a nice lathe and milling machine in my shop to make the tool and it was an enjoyable machining project.

I have heard people say it's a half-day job to replace both shocks. I don't know what mechanic superman is doing that work, it took me a full day and a half to do both sides. It's a lot of work. This isn't like changing the struts in your BMW or Volkswagen...this is a whole different level of mechanical challenge due to the design complexity and heavy-duty nature of the components. Not recommended for beginner mechanics, you're liable to hurt yourself.

The car rides much better with the new shocks....love it.
guyslp
Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff,

Just FYI, the Bilsteins were built specifically for Rolls-Royce and Bentley and are now the officially recommended replacement part from Crewe.

If you happened to photo document the tool you made and have photos of it alone and/or in action, please share.

On a related tangent to your "saggy springs" post, weren't these cars using gas springs (read: accumulators for the rear suspension) by 1983? I thought the transition had occurred by then, but could obviously be mistaken.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' ~ Isaac Asimov
racing green

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guyslp wrote:
Cliff,

Just FYI, the Bilsteins were built specifically for Rolls-Royce and Bentley and are now the officially recommended replacement part from Crewe.

If you happened to photo document the tool you made and have photos of it alone and/or in action, please share.

On a related tangent to your "saggy springs" post, weren't these cars using gas springs (read: accumulators for the rear suspension) by 1983? I thought the transition had occurred by then, but could obviously be mistaken.

I also made a tool for compressing the front springs, how does it work with attaching pics here?

the gas-suspension was made by abusing citroen patents. whilst a citroen has a gas-accu for every wheel/spring and pumps oil in these till the level of the car is correct (and the suspension stiffend to cover the additional weight) the silver shadows uses only one accumulator for all 2 (or on early cars 4) spring rams and sadly for the half of the brake system. They lift up the weight by keeping the suspension soft, cornering feels unpleasant, and especcially with the hydraulic front suspension you will have an irritation of the brakes. If you see a bump? (f.e. railroad crossing) comming and touch the brake softly, the car will recognizable brake harder if the front suspension gets to the bump. There are limiting valves to prevent that but they can only reduce it, cause pressure in a system is allways connected.
Start new topic   Reply to topic    Rolls-Royce and Bentley Home -> SY Series I and II 1965-1980 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot start new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Copyright 2006 RollsRoyceForums.com
RollsRoyceForums.com is in no way affiliated with Rolls-Royce plc, BMW AG, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Limited, Bentley Motors Ltd., or Volkswagen AG. Rolls-Royce, the "RR" logo, the radiator grille, and the Spirit of Ecstasy are registered trade marks exclusively licensed to Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Limited. Bentley is a registered trademark of Bentley Motors Ltd.