Rolls Royce Dissertation - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Rolls Royce Dissertation

Hi all,

I am currently writing a dissertation for my degree concerning brand continuity specifically using Rolls Royce as the example. I chose to use them due to my enthusiasm for classic and modern cars as well as finding it intriguing that RR have maintained their reputation after all these years.
It would be of real great use if any of you would be willing to answer some of my questions so I can gain valuable opinions for my primary research.

If anyone is willing I'd love to hear any opinions you may have even if biased We could do this via private message or other means and it would be strictly used for my degree work, not shared on websites etc.

Many thanks in advance!
Kind Regards,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:53 AM

Garage
In my opinion... the current RR has nothing to do with the real Rolls-Royce company! So I would say there is no brand continuity. RR died in 1998 when Vickers sold the company to VW (spit!) even though an agreement had been reached with BMW some time before and BMW were already supplying engines and electronics.

BMW now licence the right to the name from RR aero but the factory and cars are totally new and nothing to do with the old one sadly.

The above is not to say that I don't like the new RR models as, on the whole, I do, but they are not really Rolls-Royce anymore.

The situation is slightly better (worse?) with Bentley as at least they are still at Crewe so I suppose there is some continuity but VW have .... no, I am not going into this as my feelings for VW are not fit for a public forum!

Learning to spend without fear...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtriple View Post
In my opinion... the current RR has nothing to do with the real Rolls-Royce company! So I would say there is no brand continuity. RR died in 1998 when Vickers sold the company to VW (spit!) even though an agreement had been reached with BMW some time before and BMW were already supplying engines and electronics.

BMW now licence the right to the name from RR aero but the factory and cars are totally new and nothing to do with the old one sadly.

The above is not to say that I don't like the new RR models as, on the whole, I do, but they are not really Rolls-Royce anymore.

The situation is slightly better (worse?) with Bentley as at least they are still at Crewe so I suppose there is some continuity but VW have .... no, I am not going into this as my feelings for VW are not fit for a public forum!
Thanks a ton for this buddy!
Would you let me use this opinion under your name in my work to contradict the brand continuity?
Many thanks

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 AM

Garage
No problem, use away

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 AM

I may say the same in few words

Rolls-Royce started in 1904, was at the top level in 1931 after buying Bentley and died end 1997....

That being said, I prefer they still exist, with german behind, than the 2 brands disappear or being bought by chinese or indian...

The world has changed in 2000, with internet booming, new rich.....the customers are completely different and the GT is a proof that we changed of civilisation.

The new civilisation is claiming for "massive lux " in the sens that much more people should acess to luxury.

Time will tell if it last as long as previous one.
Jean

Continental R . 1997
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtriple View Post
No problem, use away
Fantastic that's of great help, may I get a first name/surname? If not I'll make it up haha!
Many thanks!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean7 View Post
I may say the same in few words

Rolls-Royce started in 1904, was at the top level in 1931 after buying Bentley and died end 1997....

That being said, I prefer they still exist, with german behind, than the 2 brands disappear or being bought by chinese or indian...

The world has changed in 2000, with internet booming, new rich.....the customers are completely different and the GT is a proof that we changed of civilisation.

The new civilisation is claiming for "massive lux " in the sens that much more people should acess to luxury.

Time will tell if it last as long as previous one.
Jean
When you say "the customers have changed" could you elaborate? Do you mean there are new types of customers such as rich footballers as oppose to classy rich folk in the 1960s?

Also on the subject of "massive lux" do you believe the quality has remained much of the same? Or has been lost?

Many thanks Jean!
Alex
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:28 AM

Garage
David Towers.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:12 PM

People have made the same "brand continuity" argument with regard to Bentley when it was originally sold to Rolls-Royce.

I am not going to argue with anyone's feelings about these transitions, but transitions are part and parcel of long term brand continuity if that term is to have any functional meaning. It's occurred on virtually any major make, and most of the minor ones, I can think of.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM

Who would imagine 30 years ago a RR/ Bentley shop in Moscow, Pékin, Shangai, New Delhi, Middle East...
Now the brands are surviving only because of them.
I don't think many english lord or aristocrats, or industrials could buy them new and would like too, as originally.

For me the quality has decreased, because if you want to sell a lot, there is an average price.
Producing today a Continental R as originally would have a huge cost as this was the last fully hand made car .
First they could not produce so much, second the selling price would be a couple of GT

I do not think the generation of GT will last 30 years minimum.
They are not made for that.

On the other hand, I must say that the last Brookland, more expensive, seems to have a general higher quality.

Today Bentely/ RR want to sell many cars fast.
So they need to produce a lot fast to sell them fast all over the world because the demand is there and buyers will not wait 2 years as in the past. They want immediately what is available.

GT second hand price have collapsed, ask you why ?
They are a nightmare to keep in top conditions and cost a lot to maintain.

Jean

Continental R . 1997

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode