I know I am doing something wrong - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I know I am doing something wrong

Got caught out a couple of days ago attempting to reverse uphill to get out of a parking bay, every time I put the car in reverse the park brake came off soon as I let my foot off the brake the car rolled forward (silver spirit 2) ended up left foot on brake right foot on accelerator.

So am I missing something?
Is the correct method to hold the park brake on until you get your foot on the accelerator?
Dont seem to have the problem with the car driving off uphill?

Didnt want to try any home grown solution conscious of burning out autobox, brit driver so apologies to our American cousins with auto transmissions in their blood

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM

You're not necessarily doing anything wrong.

First, these cars are very heavy, which makes a big difference in their tendency to roll a bit if you're on a steep incline. I (yes, that "ugly American") drive nothing but cars with automatic transmissions and live in a town that's one steep hill after another. All of them can and will roll slightly either forward or backward when attempting to start on a steep incline, depending on if the front of the car is pointed downward or upward on the incline, respectively.

Keeping your foot on the brake until you've had a chance to hit the accelerator is one solution on a steep incline, and the most commonly used one. You will also eventually learn how quickly you must get to the accelerator from the brake to avoid roll(back/forward), which can only be successful in certain instances.

I find the tiny bit of roll(back/forward) on a strong incline in an automatic far easier to manage than working a parking brake, clutch, and accelerator all at once for the same situation in a stick shift. It's been quite a few years since I last drove one, and I really don't miss it.

Brian
post #3 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
rolling

Hi Brian

Thanks for info, I thought I was losing my marbles, it is Scotland so we spend our lives either climbing up hills or braking going down.
The one in particular is pretty steep and even in a stick shift you need to be on the money to get it right, so guess wwho will be avoiding that spot next time in town.
Its bad enough in an ordinary car but when you know the world is watching you it does focus the mind.

cheers

John

post #4 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Phantom

There is no other way than to use both feet.

The brake is to stop the car moving...
post #5 of 153 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 07:06 PM

Hi John, my 87 Turbo R doesn't have the auto release on the parking brake but I think your car is later so might have? I think it releases as soon as you take the gearlever out of park so if that's the case you'd need one foot on the stop pedal and the other on the loud pedal ready when you engage reverse, I've not driven a later model but this is how I've imagined the system to work?
I've noticed in mine as a result of a combination of weight and a slow tickover you need your foot on the brake to prevent roll back on hills where in my other autos they'll sit all day on the same hill feet off, if you see what I mean.
Hope this makes sense/helps
Graham
post #6 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Phantom

Why are you not using your hand (foot) brake?

Ive the Bentley eight and when on hills etc i use both the park selected gear and the hand (foot operated hand brake)

I select "R" and you can feel the car take up the reverse and then i take the hand brake off and all's as it should be And the car starts to move,
It's the same if i want to go forward, "try using the hand brake last and you'll see the difference.

To test this is correct "by the hand book way of parking or wanting to move off a hill,
The next time you want to stop & park (use the handbrake) before you select park and you'll notice the car wont move an inch when you turn the engine off.

This is what the hand brakes for, (to hold the vehicle & stop it rolling forward or backwards.

We like gardening, old motor bikes and classic cars, animals (4 dogs at time of writing) & basic peace perfect peace, and real quality made cars,
post #7 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 03:02 AM
Phantom

Quote:
This is what the hand brakes for, (to hold the vehicle & stop it rolling forward or backwards.
So does the footbrake.

I never use my parking (hand) brake.

With many modern automatics you cant get the box into gear unless you have your foot on the brake. This is so that the car doesnt drive off when you select D or R.

You start the engine, put foot on brake, select D or R and then at the same time as you increase the revs you let your foot off the brake. If you are on a hill, you increase the reves until you feel the gearbox take up the power and try to move and then take your foot off the brake.

On my Bentley 8, once I have taken the key out of the ignition, the car will not move even if it is N.
post #8 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 AM
Phantom

Hello ,
and thanks for your comments,
Two things here (a) whats the "hand brake for (foot operated hand brake)?

If in the uk you rolled back or forwards whilst taking your driving test you'd fail,

Try what ive said and use the hand brake to hold the vehicle until you've selected "D OR R OR 1,2"

Just think what your asking the car to do when you remove the select from "P"
Your telling the car you no longer want the park section "hence" you've removed the select to what you do want the car to do "But as soon as you remove from P the possition thats it parking over" and the next sect will go into force.

And as for using two feet on an automatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this really is a big NO NO,

Again if you get into this habbit of braking and excellerating at the same time you' just may do this when an emergency stop is needed for real,

the idea of an auto/gear box is to have a vehicle thats safe to use and changes gear at the correct engine rev's
And not to be braking and excellerating at the same time.

One last point, when i got my Bentley it had been owned by a wealthy man and spent most of its life parked,
One of the items that needed to be sorted out via the selling agents was (HAND BRAKE )
because of it not being used.

The only time i use my left foot (ive a right hand drive) is to take the hand brake off.

Have a think about what ive said, try using the hand brake on hill starts and i know you'll solve your problem .

PS MAYBE YOUR ENGINE IDLE SPEED NEEDS LOOKING AT?
Again when i start the engine from cold it speeds up for a while until the engine is at normal temp but the point im making here is the car will move off a little quicker if the engine speed is going that little bit faster,
maybe if your's is not at the correct revs your not getting the that hold on the gear selected and your finding you need to provide this extra rev motion via using your foot on the excellerater?? Just a point to consider.

We like gardening, old motor bikes and classic cars, animals (4 dogs at time of writing) & basic peace perfect peace, and real quality made cars,
post #9 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 04:46 AM
Phantom

Quote:
Just think what your asking the car to do when you remove the select from "P"
Whatever brake you use is stopping the car from moving.
P is for Park..ie Parking..You dont have to use it. You can leave the car in N and use the parking brake.

Whats the difference between holding foot on foot brake or using handbrake when moving selector from P? Both are stoping the car from moving.

Do you use your parking brake every time you stop at a junction?

Its far easier to use footbrake to hold car when selecting drive and then take foot off brake to move away than it is to fiddle around under the dash trying to find the lever to release the handbrake.

Quote:
And as for using two feet on an automatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this really is a big NO NO,

Again if you get into this habbit of braking and excellerating at the same time you' just may do this when an emergency stop is needed for real,
Rubbish. Nobody said anything about braking and accelerating at the same time. When using a clutch you release the pedal until the the clutch "bites" and at the same time you increase revs.... the only difference with an automatic is that you are using you left foot on the brake and not the clutch.
I very much doubt that any driver is likely to slam their foot on the throttle when braking.. if you are that confused about the use of pedals i suggest you stop driving.
The brake pedal in auto cars is usually a lot bigger than a brake pedal in a manual car so you can use both feet on it at the same time...
post #10 of 153 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Phantom

Right Gremlin,

As always on these threads we get what is an reply someone dislikes and then the insults come out,

If you go back to the topic and what was said you'll see that the O.P says "he then went on to use the floor brake with one foot and place the other foot on the excellerator!!!!!!!

What the **** do you think he was doing with both feet being on two peddles?

The stop brake works to stop the car,
the (hand brake) is for holding the vehicle so it cant roll, Your not going to use any brake pads when using the hand brake so its not wearing anything out,
Dont you think this is an extra safe item thats well worth having ?
If you have kids and they get into the vehicle and move the select stick & the vehicle's correct hand brake isn't in use !!!!
you've a good chance of that vehicle rolling (lets hope for those who say they never use this brake that no kids are behind such a 3 ton vehicle if this should happen;

ref saying about driving two feet with the "stick change"
is a completly different way of the gear box being used.

Ive no problems driving and having passed my test at 17 and now 65 and always had clean licence's both HGV CLASS 1 and car /motor cycle & holding the C.P.C dont think i need the likes of you to start throwing out comments ref
me being confused ref what peddles to use

But i did attend a road accident that later proved that the driver had tried to change gear doing 50mph in an automatic car due to his forgetting it was just that "Automatic" (a very nasty scene) and the death of his daughter.

And ref you saying that you can use both feet on an auto/ brake peddle because its bigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should re-read what your saying before you press submit.

And as a final point , dont you use the hand brake on a manual when your doing a hill start????????????

Then why the **** is it such an issue to use the hand brake on an automatic????????????

If you want to drive safe use the brakes as intended

Ive a hand brake provided and i intend to use it as i do when needed

iF YOU FEEL SO SAFE NOT USING IT,,,,,,,,???? Fine,
But keep the insults to yourself they're not welcome a bit daft and not called for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode