'05 Bentley Arnage R, Front Window Problems - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

'05 Bentley Arnage R, Front Window Problems

Hello to all,

I just received a"05 Bentley Arnage R from CA. Front passenger window does not come down at all, drivers side front, only half way down. Removed door panel, I have no knowledge of how this mechanism suppose to work. Anyone experienced this before?

R,
Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

SirJ

Hello,

I finally got to the gist of my window problem; need new regulator / motor assembly. Anyone know where I can acquire these items at a reasonable price?

R,
Jimmy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM

Jimmy,

Were I you I would not be in any big hurry to purchase a replacement until you are certain that yours is defective in a way that cannot be repaired.

Find out who the auto electrics wizards are in your area and take either the car or the window motor assembly removed from the car to them. I dread to think what the cost will be for a new part, but if you want a quote for that you can always go to the website for Bentley Zionsville, AKA Albers and put in a parts request.

You also need to describe your situation and what you think your options are elsewhere as well as here. I would suggest the RROC-Australia Discussion Forums (an open forum) and the RROC-USA discussion forums (if you're a member, these are limited to club members only).

You have a much newer car than most of us, and most of these are not in the hands of the members of the various RR and Bentley enthusiasts' clubs (at least not yet). Still, you're more likely to find someone else who knows much more than I do if you make queries "within the community" as a whole.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I agree with you. Especially after calling around for new ones (982.00 ea). I will further diagnose and perhaps take your advice on taking it elswhere. I will look at the other forums as well.

Thanks,

Jimmy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJ
Yes, I agree with you. Especially after calling around for new ones (982.00 ea). I will further diagnose and perhaps take your advice on taking it elswhere. I will look at the other forums as well.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Finally problem resolved. Only had to disconnect batteries for about 1hr. reconnect, operate windows (DS Front, push completly up via swithch, push up position again) window goes down fine and back up. (PS Front, pushed button to go down, in down position, push button again for downward motion), windows work fine. If you have to jump start, or replace batteries, this throws the window learning sensor off, when new batteries are replaced, window system has to relearn or reset.

WHew, what a blessing!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:20 PM

Good to know.

It's become apparent to me, since owning a 1999 Jaguar XJ8, which was a "networked computing environment on wheels" that the old advice for computers, "Turn it off, then on again," very frequently applies to automobiles these days as well. The technique for the car, however, is different. Turning the ignition off most certainly does not turn off the network.

I cured many a spurious warning, and one window problem where the driver's window switches were not operating their respective windows but other ones instead, by simply disconnecting the battery and leaving it that way for a few hours before hooking it up again. That cleared all the volatile on-board memory, which often fixed things right up.

Brian
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:44 PM

Garage
New member here, so replying very late, but here's my two cents.
I have the same problem on a 2005 Bentley Arnage R. After two months of ownership, I noticed all 4 windows intermittently won’t open at different times. I haven’t had a window open then not close again, so far. The problem would occur randomly but would usually resolve itself a few hours later. I even had the driver window refuse to open for a week then start working again. I chalk this up to the jolts and bumps a car receives during normal driving loosening the window drive engagement mechanism. So I spoke with a full-time professional Bentley mechanic and here are the pieces of advice we came up with;

- (Mechanic) This is a very common and well know problem. It happens all the time and is usually due to lack of use of the windows. Must exercise windows regularly.

- (Me) Put the ignition key in appropriate position (accessories, engine not running), make sure the dome lights are on and press the window open button up and down a few times to see if the dome lights flicker. If so, then the motor drive mechanism for the window is drawing current and probably stuck. I’m assuming you have already checked the fuses and eliminated that.

- (Mechanic) Try slamming the door as much as you dare (without damaging your royal carriage) while simultaneously holding the window open switch. It’s a little like the old Bendix starter motor jam where you had to engage third gear and rock the car to free up.

- (Mechanic) Hit door panel inside with your hand while holding the window open switch.

- Disconnecting the two batteries on an Arnage is not usually recommended as there are many items that have to go through a re-learning process or Initialization. The windows have jam sensors and have to re-learn their position. I am still researching this part, but I believe there are many other items such as clock, trunk emergency release, radio security code, etc., that need reset. Hopefully the car anti-theft immobilizer PIN is not one of them.

I agree with previous comments, don’t rush out too quickly with wallet in hand.
Hope this helps,
Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode