MEMORY SEATS AND MOTORS WARNING - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

MEMORY SEATS AND MOTORS WARNING

Hello all : I have an 89 Silver Spur as well as a 1995 Range Rover County. I first found the problem in the Rover. The seat motors wouldn't work. It then started happening on the Rolls. Under the seats is the control module. There is a Varta Mempac 3.6v lithium battery that typically fails after 15 years. As it fails it leaks all over the circuit board and destroys the etchings and chips. I'm lucky enough to have been able to repair all three units ( the rover only has one, the rolls has one for each seat). It's fairly easy to pull the units out if the seat is still working. I would advise all of you to get that battery changed if your seat still works. If your seats don't work you will have to apply 12v to the seat motors till you get it high enough to get your hands under the seat. A new module is quite expensive when really all you have to do is change a $10 battery. I do have a photo of what the board should look like. If yours has been damaged you probably won't be able to see the original etchings. A good tech can replace the etchings. I hope I have saved you some problems but chances are the battery is leaking. I had one that still worked at 22 years though, but it was on it's way downhill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 AM

Thanks for the advice. Preventative maintenance goes a long way.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Hi
I'm a newish member, the bottom of the seat can taken out by going to the (bottom of the seat and release a strap from the frame).The strap is under a lot of tension.You can then work on all parts and hoover it as well. Hope this makes it easyer for you as you dont have to power the seat.
Gary

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM

you can get the seat ecu tested or repaired at www.sbi-ee.co.uk, we see this fault all the time replaceing the battery should be part of the service. We end up repairing an replacing the tracks after the battery as leaked. we can can recover very bad boards you would be suprised.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM

PS, I have a 1989 Mulsanne S. Gary
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 04:53 PM

I changed the batteries on an 1989 Spur that i had last year, pretty easy to do, the wholesale price on the seat ECU was about $1500, and there are 2 of them !! so i was pretty happy when i managed to fix the seats for the grand total of $22 for the 2 batteries located in the circuit board. It took longer to take the seat apart than it did to change the batteries, a steady hand and a soldering iron is all you need, unless the battery has leaked over the circuit board, then you have to solder wire into the circuit board. Just remember which ECU goes to the drivers side as they are different
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 05:00 PM
SGW

Could anyone confirm if my 94 turbo R would have the same module.

Stewart.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Everything anyone could want to know about the power memory seats throughout the SZ series can be found at:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz87/memo...ror_memory.htm

I believe that the batteries were deleted at some point when non-volatile memory began to be used. I think that was after the entire SZ series, or at the very end of the series. If it was during SZ production and someone has the chassis number at which the ECU battery was deleted that would be great to know.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Phantom

For my 97 turbo R it's the same thing, and it seems to me that I've read somewhere that it's the same problem for the electric windows ECU and the antitheft system ECU.

I just have a look on the conductor seat ECU, it was right, i stop here my investigations.

Would you, please, excuse my bad English, I'm just french. Nobody's perfect ....
Bentley turbo R LWB 1997 & Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit 1987
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 AM

This topic has, justifiably, come up repeatedly on the forums of the Rolls-Royce Owners Club. One thing I have recommended is that you do not fit the original style of battery directly to the PCB when you do put in a new one.

The same battery is now available with wire leads as are small plugs and sockets (think about what you see in your cordless phone at home, for example). I would be far more inclined to fit a socket on the PCB and plug the battery in, securing it elsewhere safely zipped up inside a small Ziplok bag.

This makes later replacement much easier and also prevents any leaks that might occur from occurring on the PCB of the ECU itself.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode