Radio antenna replacement ? - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Radio antenna replacement ?

I'm having antenna problems when radio is powered up antenna only extends half way followed by a clicking sound does this mean that antenna needs replacing or can the antenna be rebuilt any info would be appreciated thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 PM

It sounds like the plastic cable that is used to push/pull the antenna mast has either fractured or the teeth have worn to the extent that the motor no longer catches them. Were the motor dead the antenna would not extend or retract at all.

I do not know who Crewe used to source antenna assemblies during different periods. You are going to need to post your year, make, and model along with your SZ Series Shorthand Chassis Derivation if you've got an SZ series car or the actual chassis number or VIN if you've got something earlier or later, respectively.

Someone may know who Crewe used for antenna assemblies. Depending on who that was, you may be able to buy only an antenna mast rather than the whole assembly.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

The Shorthand Chassis Derivation for my vehicle is NAJ24145. It is a 1988 Silver Spur. THANKS For Any Help Or Suggestions.
Kevin

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Phantom

Post updates on the result, interested in hearing how it goes.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM

An additional update.

I have been told that, depending on the era and the car, Crewe used power antenna assemblies made by Ford and by GM. On another forum I participate in someone said they recall having replaced the antenna on a Silver Shadow "One Series" with a Ford power antenna and it was the same down to the bezel.

My Silver Shadow II had a new aftermarket power antenna assembly put in a few years ago and it works just fine. It has the added advantage of being operated by whether or not the radio is powered on or not rather than through the Aerial switch.

Your best bet might be to go to your local automobile stereo installer and see if you can make a match to their power antenna stock.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 AM

I have a 88 Spirit and replaced my original unit some years ago with a universal one bought from Halfords. Works just fine. Mr Slow
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Hemmo
first i would spray some WD40 or any silicone-spray into the antenna-top. It might experience to much friction. Other possible course is that the extraction finisher not working so electromotor signal don't stop.....
Sorry, i'm Dutch.

Could it be a little more perhaps......no, it MUST be more!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:27 AM

I have a 1991 Bentley Turbo R. I forgot to turn the radio off in the car wash (reading emails on the blackberry).

Btw, seeing your antenna being snapped and having to sit through the rest of the car wash reflecting on your own idiocy is quite the experience.

I got a quote from the dealership at $560 plus labor. A bargain....

Would anyone know if the radio antenna mast can be replaced without having to replace the whole unit? If so, what can I replace it with.

Also, how do you remove the mast and/or the entire antenna unit. I didnt see a retainer nut on the outside of the car just the two bolts on the bracket. If i can't remove the mast i would like to replace it with a universal unit.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be hugely appreciated. I would like to avoid the huge dealership costs. Always dreamed of owning one, maybe bought it a little too early (25) and bit off a little more than I can chew.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Your best bet with any of these antenna assemblies is to remove the broken one and then seek out your nearest "auto stereo" installer or parts place that specializes in antenna assemblies.

Many, many have replaceable masts but some do not. I have seen it go both ways. There are way fewer antenna assembly suppliers than there are car manufacturers, so the folks that work with these routinely can sometimes tell just by looking at the assembly whether a mast is available or not.

Our cars can be a real pain because no one "in the general parts world" tends to know what fits them and many parts are unique. If you're able to pull the antenna assembly and take it with you you've got the added bonus of not having to be spotted in a Rolls-Royce or Bentley and have the price mysteriously increase (and, yes, it does happen).

Your antenna assembly should be very easily accessible from inside the trunk/boot. See the attached image.

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode