Removing door cappings on a Spirit - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Removing door cappings on a Spirit

Hi All,

I'm new to all this.

Just bought my car, and the dash and one door capping need the laquer stripping and renewing, a job I plan to tackle this forthcoming weekend.

The dash appears to be quite straightforward to remove, but very unsure about how to remove a door capping. I would also appreciate some advice on how to remove the mirror surrounds on the C-pillars too.

Whilst on topic, is Nitromors the best way forward for the stripping, or would I be better with an hot air gun?

For re-coating, I'm planning on using two-pack laquer, which is available locally in aerosol form. Did some touch-up work on another car with a two-pack aerosol can (used an hair-dryer on it between coats) and was amazed with the quality of the finish. I expect to put about fifteen coats on the wood to make them look original as the laquer is very thick.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Does no-one know how to remove the door cappings? Cheers
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 AM

Remove the window switch escutcheons by very, very gently easing them out which is best done with two very small screwdrivers trying to lift each side a tiny bit then the other, etc., etc.. The legs on these things are very prone to breakage if you're not careful.

You must remove the interior door panels, which if they're held on the same way as the Shadow series, by gently prying away from the door to release the metal clips that hold them in place. There may or may not, I can't remember, be screws that hold the door handle to the door frame itself. If so these have to come off before the panels.

Once the panels are off, you'll find six set screws across the top area of the door that hold the cap rails on. Remove 'em and lift out the cap rails.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, it's very much appreciated

Paul
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Phantom

My old man did the same procedure that the gentlemen suggested to you, thats a very safe and sure way to do it without damaging anything, even if your new to this. By the way, what's the chassis number? Just wondering.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 01:45 PM

You're welcome.

FYI, the entire workshop manual and other maintenance documents for your car (an SZ Series) is available at the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club of Australia Technical Library - SZ Series Section. Go there and download it.

I believe the question you asked is covered in Chapter S - Carbody.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Phantom

Wow! Thats a very descriptive resource. Thanks a lot, Brian. It's difficult to find a free, easy-to-use, simple, yet descriptive handbook online. I learned a few new tips. Thanks a lot man.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 PM

You're most welcome.

All I ask is that those who know about and use the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club of Australia Technical Library become "evangelists" for it.

This is one of the best online resources for Rolls-Royce Motorcars from all eras, bar none. We all owe the RROC-A and especially the members who took the time to scan all this material our deepest thanks.

For those who might own or be interested in owning an SY Series car (Shadows and derivatives) another excellent site dedicated to these cars exclusively is Marinus Rijkers' Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow Site.

I'll also "toot my own horn" a bit and recommend my Rolls-Royce and Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration, and Other Resources Compilation. It's on the USA-centric side since that's where I live and where I've received the most recommendations for additional entries. There are some in the UK and Europe as well. Additions from other corners of the world are welcome.

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Phantom

No worries, Brian. We will definitely be "evangelists" for it. Also, I have spent the majority of my life in the U.S. so that will be just fine for my understanding.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank-you very much for all your help and advice. I've removed all my laquer-damaged wood now, and stripped half of it with the hot air gun.

Very easy to strip.

Hopefully I will start spraying it all tomorrow.

My car seems to have spent most of it's life in Southampton. Chassis number:

*SCAZS0003GCH15102*

Would be great if anyone knew about the car.

Many thanks
Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode