Oil leak help - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to KevinDeasy
Oil leak help

I have a small oil leak from the rear crank seal ,I have replaced it,I had a leak from the rocker covers,replaced them.i still have a small leak at the crank seal.I READ THAT A BLOCKED wire filter from the pipe at the oil filler can cause this.
Brian spoke of this in a tread. Help,how do I get at this filter? Where is it exactly? Could this be my problem.I drive it about 400 miles a week & don't want to harm it.

Kevin Silver Spirit 84
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 06:09 PM

Kevin,
You mean the flame trap(s), do you?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_Corniche View Post
Kevin,
You mean the flame trap(s), do you?
I'd say he does. A search on these forums for "flame trap" will find the posts I wrote.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil leak

Yes I think it is the flame trap?
The pipi is at the top of the oil filler and going to?
I will look it up on a search.
Thanks

Kevin Silver Spirit 84
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Smile Oil flame trap

Brian
I looked at your post on cleaning the trap it is good,
but On my car there is a pipe going from the oil filler to the trap but there iis no connection or pipe coming out of the trap.Is there a pipe that should come out of it? Where should it go to, I have looked at the carbs & air in-take but I can not see any place to connect a pipe.
This is probably what is wrong with my leak as I have replaced 2 rocker gaskets on the left side & a back crank seal .
Many thanks Kevin

Kevin Silver Spirit 84
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:23 PM

Breather on your bentley 8 is at bank ok a bank on the triangle plate ( under wiper motor) pipe from it goes to metal air trunking middle of carbs at top. Take 3 bolts out of triangle plate facing upwards & single bolt out of pipe on carb trunking.. There is paper gasket between plate. Breather is held in with circlip in triangle plate.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:31 PM

After a bit of digging I finally found where the crankcase breather system is documented for your car. See Chapter E9 of the Workshop Manual (TSD4400) which you can snag from http://rrtechnical.info if you don't have it.

You will be able to see precisely the area that rollmech described in figure E9-1, presuming your car has HIF7 SU carbs.

Eventually I will cement it in my cranium as to when the various delivery markets all went to fuel injection. The US delivery cars were all fuel injected by 1984.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 01:18 PM

Off topic but UK cars became fuel injected from 1987 model year which came out late 1986 chassis numbers 20000 onwards
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil lek

Roll mec & Brian
Thanks,I found it & took it out but it was not dirty or blocked,I steamed it out and dried it' This is not the cause of my leakI will still have my oil drip, it seems te be after I drive it & stops after it is sitting for a short while.
The journey I nonmally do is 40 miles on a motorway at 70/80 mph twice a day.
I am using semi synthetic 10/40?
The only drip is at the crank shaft rear seal which is new.It does use some oil
1 LTR to 1,000 miles including the leak.is this a normal?The leak is about a spoon ful when I stop after the journey
I thought of making a drip tray to catch the drip so as my drive will not be covered in oil drips. Any other ideas?
Thanks for your help i do appreciate it
Kevin Deasy

Kevin Silver Spirit 84
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:35 PM

Are you certain it's from the rear crank seal , when you changed the seal did you replace all the other gaskets at back of engine , there is a gasket for the cam shaft cover, as its above the crank seal casing if leaking could drip onto crank seal giving impression of crank seal leaking. Also there is a gasket on the horse shoe plate that the crank seal fits into, also when removing this plate the back of the sump gasket will be disturbed. From past experience all the above gaskets would be changed when doing crank seal . If the sump gasket wasn't damaged when rear crank seal plate removed you could get away with putting a decent gasket sealer on plate where fitted to sump gasket. Because of work involved in doing all this generally would have reesealed all front of gearbox as well to try and eliminate all areas that could leak. In reality there tends to be some form of leak from a car of this age, they leaked even when they were fairly new.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode