Silver Spur - missing wiper motor - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Silver Spur - missing wiper motor

I was wondering if anyone knows of a suitable substitute wiper motor for my 1986 RR Silver Spur I just picked up.

It is missing the wiper motor.

I have read they are BOSCH brand and I am just trying to have working wipers.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Hi where are you UK of US?

Bentleyman22
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

USA

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Phantom

I've had some problems with mine, due to poor contacts in the three relays that operate the motor. I fixed that by removing the relay case covers and cleaning the contacts with some fine grade paper.

That's not your problem, but I took a good look at my wiper system trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.

Firstly, I hope you have all the linkages and bell crank piece for the motor, you just don't have the motor?

Flying Spares in the UK (www.flyingspares.com) will have a good 2nd hand or refurbished unit for £185.

Ebay could supply for less maybe.

However, if you are a bit handy, you could modify a BOSCH motor from a Mk4 Golf (or new beetle). You would need to cut the ground link on the park switch on the outside of the motor (see photo). That is the easy part as I have done that in order to use the motor on another car.

Now for the bit I haven't needed to do, but certainly will if I have a problem with mymotor as I think £35 fof a new (aftermarket not genuine VW) Golf motor from Ebay is more like what I would want to pay.

You would then need to pull off the tape around the motor body that covers up the brushes.

You need to disconnect the grounded brush from the motor body ground and connect a wire to it and bring that up and out through the cable gland at the top where the red and blue wires come from the other two brushes. In the worst case you would need to undo the two screws holding the motor cover/motor permanent magnets in place for better access to the brushes. You could then undo one of the gearbox screws around the top and put a ring connector on that to provide a good case ground lead.
You would then have all the cables/connections (7) necessary to connect into the RR loom, by following the RR wiring diagram, though you would need to wire up the connections individually as you would not have the original motors multi-plug (not having the motor of course). The small connections allready fitted into the Golf motor's multi-plug connection you can see in the photo are easily connected to by small blade (spade) connectors that can usually be found for car audio speakers and can be readily purchased from car audio/motor accessory suppliers.

Below is my finished motor (for another application remember!), but you can see how neatly it can be modified to fit a different application.

Note I did have another Golf motor (2nd hand) that was faulty. I'll see if I can find it and see how easy/if its possible to modify the third brush connection to pull the ground out for external connection.

Cheers... Rob.

Red to Red, Black to Black, Blew to bits.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to sgtmj
Bought a VW wipermotor a few weeks ago to replace the existing one! Doing like ro80rob wrote I´ve now got a new fresh motor for less then 1/10 of the price compared to a new one!

It took me just an hour from the start to have it replaced!!! Very pleaseed!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 AM

you can get a rover one for the same Money and don't have to modify it
i gave £10.00

Bentleyman22
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1936PIII
rover?

what year and model rover wiper works on the spur? thanks.

Untrinque Paratus.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Depending on the age Turbo R have 1987 car Mistro late Turbo R metro
just change the plug

Bentleyman22
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Phantom

Only problem with fitting Maestro/Montego/Metro motors is that they are all now obsolete and you are typically buying 2nd hand motors.

You can get brand new ones for VW vehicles for not much more and the modification to fit it is not difficult.

Its so nice to fit new parts where you can, especially if you can do it for a bargain price, so well done sgtmj for guinnea pigging this one.

Don't suppose you took some photos to show how it is done/looks on your installation. As I said, mine was for another car. I only realised it could be used on my Bentley if necessary, and its not rocket science.

Cheers... Rob.

Red to Red, Black to Black, Blew to bits.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to sgtmj
Sorry Rob, I didn´t take any photos! I followed "the instructions"; buying a used Vw motor, a motor with the metallic cover on (and not the one with plastic cover! I was unsure if that one was as easy to use!) I cut the ground link on the park switch on the outside of the motor! I then opened the motor and followed the instructions with the third brush! Small blade connectors was used to the cables! We tested every cable so it would fit the correct cable on the car!
The whole work took just a few minutes with a superb result!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode