Bentley Turbo R / Spirit/Spur Towbar fitting - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to GuyMark Send a message via Yahoo to GuyMark
Bentley Turbo R / Spirit/Spur Towbar fitting

Although I would rather not, I need to have a towbar fitted - and I see that extending to the rear bumper on both side are what look like EXTREMELY substantial steel sections which hold the rear bumper in place.

I am also assuming that this is where the towing eye if fitted is plonked?

What I was wondering, is, can a towbar be safely placed on a thick bit of H or box section steel, welded to these two steel lumps? I just cannot bring myself to pay about £500 for a small bit of metal to fix a towbar in place so I can tow a 200Kg trailer if a sensible option is just to have a welder plonk a hefty bit of box section at the back - and have a detachable ball on it.

Are these metal supports strong enough to bung a towbar on - or must I weld / bolt to a different "bit of car" ? The wiring for the lights etc, I am more than happy to do myself.

Any thoughts welcome, helpful ones even more so

Kind Regards

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Phantom

I have never tried to fit one but I can supply a tow bar for the shadow for about £330. if interested.

Matt

matt@introcar.co.uk

www.introcar.co.uk

Tel +44 (0)20 8546 2027
Skype Matthew_3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:44 PM

Never used or installed, but recently rebuilt my boat trailer. The marine parts store had an excellent selection of accesories. Including universal tow kits for light towing kits for all vehicles. Reese who also OEM to Ford trucks. A carriage bolts and blocks onto the frame makes a clamp, no welding or drilling. Fast search gives this example with no picture:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...it%2BHitch.jsp

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjdduncan
I have never tried to fit one but I can supply a tow bar for the shadow for about £330. if interested.

Matt

Thanks Matt - though I think the Turbo R is the same frame as the spirit and possibly the spur (assuming same backend but a bit further away). Not sure if the same is true for the shadows though.

As the car is old enough not to need to comply with the specific euro tow-bar law, I might just get something strong and simple welded to those "side arm things" at the back. If one towing eye is supposed to be able to tow another RR/B then I am guessing that if a pair of mounts are used to tow a dinky little trailer, I doubt anything is going to come apart.

Mark
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenig
Never used or installed, but recently rebuilt my boat trailer. The marine parts store had an excellent selection of accesories. Including universal tow kits for light towing kits for all vehicles. Reese who also OEM to Ford trucks. A carriage bolts and blocks onto the frame makes a clamp, no welding or drilling. Fast search gives this example with no picture:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...it%2BHitch.jsp

Thanks for that, I will see if I can find a UK stockist or a UK version of it. I know I found universal systems in the US before but seem not to find them in the UK. I guess because with cars built after 1990something, they all have to be made to fit a specific vehicle - so it is only the older cars that can use universals.

I keep looking for a towbar fitted to an Turbo R / silver spirit so I can have a quick peek underneath and see where the official bracket mounting points are. So far not spotted one.

Have fun and thanks again for thoughts

Mark
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Hi Mark
Not advisable to Weld it But Bolting it in place is ok just put a big plate on the out side
And then it will be ok for EU
I Love to see a Bentley used

Bentleyman22
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleyman22
Hi Mark
Not advisable to Weld it But Bolting it in place is ok just put a big plate on the out side
And then it will be ok for EU
I Love to see a Bentley used

Excellent, thank you very much for that, I shall see what I can get sorted with some nice bits of heavy duty box section and some hefty plates and M12 bolts.

Kind Regards

Mark
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:59 PM

Should be able to find them. Reese is also in Australia.

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/consum...uctSearch.aspx
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenig
Should be able to find them. Reese is also in Australia.

http://www.haymanreese.com.au/consum...uctSearch.aspx

Thanks I had a go on that link - but they seemed not to have anything for RR/B nor a "generic option" to select on the website. I think I will end up bolting some 50mm x 50mm x 6mm box section between the two back bits holding the bumper on and then bolt a towbar to the box section.

If I get it right, when the ball is removed, it ought to be quite tidy, and just a couple of M12 bolts and it's back on again.

Was thinking of putting the lighting socket UNDER the car so a tiny bit more fiddly to plug in / unplug but also totally out of sight.

All this to tow a trailer with a maximum weight of 300Kg.

Mark
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:18 AM

Good morning Mark
Why donít you look around your local scrap yard and see if you can find a ready made one and then modify it
You must have a BRAKE point that is why there bolted to the car
Yes it will be good to put the electrics out of the way put some Greece in it so it doesnít get water in

Bentleyman22

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode