Finding the leak - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Finding the leak

So today I put new rear brake pads in my 98 Continental R and while it was on the lift I was inspecting and noticed quite a bit more mineral oil underneath than I expected. The car has always leaked some mineral oil but it was never enough to give it more than a quick look. Before the leak seemed to be isolated to the area surrounding the accumulators (which are getting replaced soon) but this time it was almost everywhere. I found it all over the oil pan, some on the transmission pan, in the transmission tunnel and on the bottom of the flywheel cover. This is in addition to my previous leak around the accumulators and oil was dripping from the transmission cross member. So I cleaned off all the oil and took it for a drive and put it back on the lift. Again, I found oil on top of the transmission and near the front of the oil pan. Since this has happened I put two new clamps on the hoses that are just beyond the hydraulic oil reservoir near the exhaust manifold and one on the hose behind the left intake assembly. This solved that but I have a feeling that was only a minor leak. So i'm looking for any help that you guys can give me. I think the source of the leak is coming from the area just behind the cylinder heads but i'm not 100% sure. Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 AM

Garage
One of the hydraulic pumps is located at the rear of the engine, which supplies LHM to the rear horizontally mounted accumulator for hydraulic system 2, operating the front brakes. So it sounds as though you may have a leak from that area. With any luck it's something simple, and not too difficult to access.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

That was my first thought but when I looked on the bentley assist IETIS I could only find the front pump. What I would really like if anyone has one is a diagram of the whole hydraulic system.
Im not sure if that is on IETIS or not.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 AM

Hi pumps are normal to play up and as you have the later car do the both and as your in the v of the engine replace the rubber Hose's and clean the Throttle Body out
also if you haven't changed the Thermostat Lately do that as well
you might think I am mad but when you see what you have to take of to get in there you will see why I as do every thing
Michael

Bentleyman22
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ContiR View Post
That was my first thought but when I looked on the bentley assist IETIS I could only find the front pump. What I would really like if anyone has one is a diagram of the whole hydraulic system.
Im not sure if that is on IETIS or not.
The color coded diagrams are part of IETIS an are contained in section G2 for both RHD and LHD cars. You'll see the entries, once your in the correct one simply click for the graphic and there it is.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

What exactly needs to be done to the pumps? Can I just put fresh O-rings on and put them back in or is it more of a process? Also what hoses need to be replaced and do they need to be ordered or is it just a standard hose? Do I need new gaskets or O-rings for the intake after I take it off? Sorry for all the questions but I've never had the engine apart and want to make sure I have everything I need. Thanks Brian, you helped me with the coolant temp sensor before and I still haven't put it in since the problems hasn't gotten any worse. Now I just need to set aside a few days to do some major service work on my car.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
What exactly needs to be done to the pumps? Can I just put fresh O-rings on and put them back in or is it more of a process? Also what hoses need to be replaced and do they need to be ordered or is it just a standard hose? Do I need new gaskets or O-rings for the intake after I take it off? Sorry for all the questions but I've never had the engine apart and want to make sure I have everything I need. Thanks Brian, you helped me with the coolant temp sensor before and I still haven't put it in since the problems hasn't gotten any worse. Now I just need to set aside a few days to do some major service work on my car.
First, let me say that you still have not determined, conclusively, that the leak is from the pump itself. You really need to know where the source of the leak is, and I mean exactly where. If it is the pumps it's likely just the sealing o-rings.

Standard reinforced transmission cooling hose can be used for the gravity feed lines between the HSMO reservoir and the pumps as well as the return lines from the accumulator control valves to the reservoir.

Beyond that there's a lot of other "stuff" in the upper reaches of your engine bay that's not in mine, so others who've "been there, done that" are going to have to chime in to answer your other queries.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
First, let me say that you still have not determined, conclusively, that the leak is from the pump itself. You really need to know where the source of the leak Ipswich I mean exactly where.
From the oil im seekng I wouldn't image that it would be from anything else. On my engine it is very hard to see the pumps so I cant be sure but im going to have the chargecooler off which sits above the Intake manifold. While I have it apart would it be a smart idea to change the O rings anyway? Im almost certain that they've never been taken out.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
From the oil im seekng I wouldn't image that it would be from anything else. On my engine it is very hard to see the pumps so I cant be sure but im going to have the chargecooler off which sits above the Intake manifold. While I have it apart would it be a smart idea to change the O rings anyway? Im almost certain that they've never been taken out.
Well, what if you have a crack on your gravity feed hose that expands as the hose warms? What if one of the connections of the small steel lines at the pump body was not sufficiently torqued and has worked loose, causing a leak? [The latter happened on my Silver Wraith II.] That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. You need to be certain that the leak is coming from around the pump body before you know what you must do, versus might want to do, next.

You will get advice to change the O-rings from many and not to change 'em from many as well. For myself, I never mess with a functioning system, particularly static O-ring seals, if nothing's malfunctioning nor very likely to malfunction. You may find that one of the two pumps is leaking. If that's the case you'll have to change them on that pump. You can then make your own decision as to whether you think it's worth it to pull apart the pump that's not leaking. There are lots of things (like replacing the thermostat, and [for me] not with the one from Crewe Original) that fall into the category of "do it while you're in there because it's going to need to be done anyway, and it's hard to get to it later," and others that, in my estimation, are not. You will have to listen to the advice you get, weigh that based on what you already know and what you learn during fixing what you determine you must fix, and then proceed according to what your gut and your brain tell you. There are no "absolutely correct, for all owners and in all situations" answers regarding how to maintain your car. I openly admit that I'm of either the very conservative (or wildly cavalier, depending on who's asked) attitude that you never touch a functioning system unless there's a reasonable probability that a component could fail in normal service. I've seen a lot of problems created by the "Well, you'd might as well do it while your in there" philosophy, particularly on things that just aren't likely to fail. Every time you tear something apart and put it together again you're introducing variables that you then must monitor.

I'd certainly consider whatever those who've actually "been there, done that" on a car with a setup that's similar to yours have to offer. Ladies and gentlemen who fit that category, please chime in!!

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 12:31 PM

Hi I Have Had My charge cooler off so hear goes
there isn't much really need other than what I have said in my last post
but if you want to do the Job in one hit and not sit waiting for parts
if you read the book it tells you that you need to remove the Throttle Body well You Don't
you need to remove the plastic's coil packs ( be careful the are shaped washers under neath the packs)
also the Charge Cooler has 4 rubber cotton reels you might want to get them in as my ones where broken this is the fiddly bit you have a pipe to the turbo release this and the pipe to the Throttle body has a big rubber pipe as well release this and the pipes for the Charge Cooler and the bits and bobs
and then wigel and off it will come clear
and you will find what your looking for and then you will see why I said do it all
Michael

Bentleyman22

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode