Front brake pad size - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Front brake pad size

Hi would anyone have the size in mm's please of the front brake pads for bentley turbo r year 1995 this has as set of 4 on each front wheel. They are not big brakes. many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:51 PM

hello they are listed in the parts catalogue as 280mm............hope this helps
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 04:14 PM

oops sorry didn't read your question properly and just realised you wanted pad size not as I have put disc size ....doh

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 05:54 PM

Here's a link to FS:
http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rol...-ur73208p.html
Right before reading your thread, I had my brake pads out to reseal a front calliper, but now the car is together again. If it is essential for you to know, simply remove them to measure or call FS or Introcar.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:11 PM

Not owning, or having owned, a Turbo R I don't know which ones qualify as "big brake" model years, but I do have this information in my resources file:

Substitute front brake pads for “big brake” type Turbo R are used for Mercedes W126. Mercedes part number is A 001 420 99 20. These are far less expensive (and, some would say, of better quality) than the Crewe Original part.

I believe the "small brake" cars use the same brake pads as the other SZ derivatives, but you'd have to confirm that the Crewe Part number matches. If it does, see the long list of alternatives on Larry Halpert's Rolls-Royce and Bentley Substitute Parts Webpage.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 PM

the 340mm front brakes only came in 1996 but Andy's car may be retrofitted.
Brian, I thought you were on forum-diet )))
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Many thanks everyone for the advice! I guess I had better take one out to measure it. Its just I have since found out that ford capri brake pads could do the job the 2.8 ltr model? guess as there are 4 each side it could possibly do the job. I have looked on the Intro and so on but have not got the cheek or the bottle to ask them the size ha ha ha Thanks also for the mercedes part number will check that out too sounds ideal
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:32 PM

The size difference has to do with what brake discs are fitted to your car. I believe the measurement is the circumference of the disc, but it may be the diameter. Being from a non-metric nation (why, oh why did we not bite the bullet in the 1970s!!) I have no intuitive sense of what 280 or 340 mm looks like.

Your brake pads are either "normal" if you have the 280 mm or "big brake" if the 340 mm.

I've already posted a direct link to a page that gives you myriad cross reference choices for the 280mm cars.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:07 PM

Garage
Personally, I would just get the proper pads from Bentley - I don't think it's worth it for the saving, which will be £100-£120. It's a lot easier, and you'll be confident they are right. I wouldn't even buy the aftermarket ones from Flying Spares. I just don't think it's worth it with a car like this, which, let's not forget, is a 2.5 tonne car and, if you have a 96MY, 380 odd bhp.

You can be absolutely sure the OE pads will be nothing less than the very best, because they have a Bentley logo on the box - and that is the reputation of not only Bentley, but VW too. Braking components would not be sold with that logo unless they were spot on.

Last edited by singlemalt; 01-20-2015 at 06:10 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemalt View Post
You can be absolutely sure the OE pads will be nothing less than the very best, because they have a Bentley logo on the box - and that is the reputation of not only Bentley, but VW too. Braking components would not be sold with that logo unless they were spot on.
I suggest you touch base with people who've worked for Bentley before making any assumptions other than what is sold is appropriate to the application.

I have it from several good authorities who worked "inside" over the decades that the vast majority of Crewe Original parts are sourced from any of a number of major manufacturers (many of whom also sell the same items under various other names) and are simply repackaged. This is utterly unsurprising just based upon observation of how many parts that come in Crewe Original packaging still retain every bit of the identification information from their actual manufacturers on them.

Most brake pads for Crewe can be traced back to Ferodo. There are plenty of other brake makers who produce pads of equal quality. Ferodo pads can generally be sourced for significantly less than their "rebadged" counterparts.

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode