Mineral system oil where to source - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mineral system oil where to source

My 85 silver spur is missing the two bottles by the battery for the brakes/etc. Wondering where to get this from in canada preferably?. Also what are my options,what will work properly?.I see TRW LHM plus .I see castrol JMS Not sure if there all the same or what.No Dealers anywhere near me on the east but there is Jaguar so i can get theres easier.Also do you need the special nozzle to fill the resivoirs?. Anywhoo any advice is appreciated.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:43 AM

LHM can be found in every fuel station here in Europe. In the US/Canada, I'd try the 'usual suspects' such as Albers (Bentley Zionsville) or call a local Jaguar dealer. Jaguar used LHM in the 90s too. LHM and LHM+ are the same, only the '+' is produced nowadays. Also, HSMO and LHM are the same stuff. Furthermore, the brand does not matter, as all the stuff is made the same single factory in France.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks so much now i have more to go on. So this JMS is the same as LHM?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 PM

The stuff that Castrol produces that is appropriate for your car is HSMO. I have no idea what JMS is and didn't even bother to look it up.

The original stuff (before the Plus came along) came in bottles that look like this:

while the Plus variety either looks exactly the same as above, but with "Plus" added to the name or comes in a bottle that looks like this:

Either should have the little feed tube with it. This was meant to "idiot proof" the mineral oil reservoirs from those who would try to pour in conventional DOT brake fluid. Unfortunately it's impossible to foolproof anything because fools seem to be so darned determined and ingenious!

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Phantom

Ditto that. Buy the Castrol HSMO - that's the right stuff for you RR. You can buy it on ebay for about $25 bucks a bottle.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:12 AM

The brand does not matter, it's all coming from the same factory.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:04 PM

This is what I use. I live in Florida and this is a bit more heat resistant than the original bottles that came with the car. I also think it is a slightly higher quality than the original. It can be found at most parts stores plus it comes in a tin container that holds about 2-3 times the amount of the original bottles. I just keep an original bottle and fill it up with these so it is easier to fill the reservoirs.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM

This is not LHM, unless I am very mistaken. Color is green as per spec sheet but this is synthetic. I would be surprised if this is a substitute for alien blood (LHM).
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_Corniche View Post
This is not LHM, unless I am very mistaken. Color is green as per spec sheet but this is synthetic. I would be surprised if this is a substitute for alien blood (LHM).
I was skeptical at first also. My friend has run this in his Turbo R for about ten years without a problem. He tried convincing me about a year ago and I didn't want to listen to him until I called the company Pentosin that makes it. You are right it is a synthetic replacement for the original but does much better in high temperatures.

You can find more info here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...85464276,d.eXY
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:45 PM

CHF is not HSMO, but it is a hydraulic system mineral oil. It has a lot more in common with HSMO than with DOT brake fluid.

CHF is the equivalent of the RH 5000 hydraulic fluid that's used in the Arnage/Seraph era cars. They use DOT brake fluid for the brakes. It's one of those really weird situations where Crewe went back to DOT (and a separate system entirely) for brakes while keeping the hydraulic leveling and damping system going with a mineral oil based fluid. Citroen did the same thing with its recent cars.

See this page at findpart.org for additional details. What's amusing is that they don't reference Pentosin CHF 11S, but Pentosin cross references CHF 11S to RH 5000. This webpage also makes clear that Pentosin CHF 11S and CHF202 are synthetic oil based fluids (as opposed to refined dino-based).

I'm not telling anyone that they should or should not use this in an HSMO application, but it's definitely a hydraulic system mineral oil if not Castrol HSMO or LHM.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Last edited by guyslp; 02-05-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode