dashboard lights Bentley 8 - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

dashboard lights Bentley 8

the dashboard lights on my 86/8 ared very dim,how easy/difficult is it to replace them with better light bulbs,or even led?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 PM

Not that difficult. Although if you're going to do this I would replace the bulbs since you're in there, the likely cause of your issue is the darkening of the little rubber boots they place over a number of the tiny light bulbs.

I personally prefer to remove these and keep them off as I like the clear, white lettering and background light it produces. If you still want a blue or blue-green tint I recommend buying transparent glass paint in the tint you prefer and painting the bulbs. This is available at hobby/craft stores and there are varieties that are dishwasher safe and can hold up to the heat from the tiny bulbs. The larger bulbs used in the instruments have film sleeves, not rubber boots, and these remain transparent.

Check out the workshop manual for how to remove the dash wood and get access to the various areas with lights.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:51 AM

I have an '86 Spur in the 14000 motors..I would like to replace ALL my Dashboard lights with LEDs.. AND replace the dimmer with a suitable one..Some of the bulbs are VERY SMALL.. Others (speedo) are a devil to construct a substitute system for? Without destroying the original appliances,,( I wont do that despite the stupidity i encounter in the design and manufacture of some of these pieces..)If anyone has successfully completed this "upgrade" I would love to hear from you.. Meanwhile i WILL SOLDIER ON AND ATTEMPT TO find solutions myself..

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:17 AM

The smallest bulbs I've encountered are the E5 base screw in bulbs. When I last went through the dash on my Shadow II an equivalent LED did not even exist, now they do. See here and here for two sellers.

I have attached a list, with photos, of the lamps used in Shadow and Spur era cars. Most, if not all, of these are now available in LED form. Other than the rheostat for dash dimming it's a matter of buying the replacements and installing them.

Be cautious with the lights for the brakes, because without a resistor (I think, it's hazy at the moment) either built-in to the lamp or installed in the socket with it the car will give you a perpetual "stop lamp" out warning.

If you have a car where the cruise control is dependent on the upper center brake lights in the rear window being functional I'd skip changing them over to LEDs at all.

Lastly, with LEDs you are going to want to very carefully think about what color temperature you actually want. Many of the most commonly available have a very high color temperature that looks nothing like incandescent light. Some people really like the ultra-bright blue-white but others find it very jarring. You can find lower color temperature LEDs that more closely mimic the spectrum of incandescent bulbs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Silver Shadow Light Bulbs.pdf (65.2 KB, 36 views)

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr siddeley View Post
the dashboard lights on my 86/8 ared very dim,how easy/difficult is it to replace them with better light bulbs,or even led?
very easy remove 3 screws then re move the screws from the air pulls air con, and then remove the wood. You can see the bulbs. look at your switch h/l.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:01 PM

very easy remove three screws from the dash board,wood. remove the screws from the air con, and then remove the wood
you can see the bulbs look at your switch high and low. sounds like a bad earth.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:26 PM

dash light

Very esey remove 3 screws from the wood dash board the screws are at the top of your dash under the hood cover. then remove the screws that holds the aircan pulls remove them ,and then remove the wood dash by bulling towards you top first. you can then see the light bulbs. look at the h/ and low switch, may be a bad earth
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 PM

Garage
I wonder is someone could give a little more detail here. I have a 1988 Spur left hand drive (US Model) and I have looked thru the online manual for detailed instructions for replacing facia illumination.

So far I can find the electrical wiring diagrams and a section on removing the wood facia but NO specific section on replacing bulbs.

So can someone tell me with the 88 models if the proper way to replace bulbs is by removing the wood facia? And if so, is the manual that is online the best source on showing how this is done?

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz87/s2.pdf Page S15-3

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:51 PM

Yes, you must remove the facia panels to get to the lights up there. You also have to remove the panels down near the knee roll as well.

The top roll comes off if you want to have access to the instrument lights. It would have been nice if they'd made the wiring long enough for you to pull all of the instruments out from the front and not have to reach behind, but on my SY car you can't do that.

The workshop manuals are quite detailed, but they were written for people who "do this for a living" and, thus, don't include every tiny detail.

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
The top roll comes off if you want to have access to the instrument lights. It would have been nice if they'd made the wiring long enough for you to pull all of the instruments out from the front and not have to reach behind, but on my SY car you can't do that.
Thanks Brian,

I have restored all sorts of cars but this is my first time working on a Rolls. The car is in beautiful condition and I want to take care not to break anything in the removal process.

When you refer to the "upper roll" are you referring to the upper part of the knee roll section or is the upper roll the wood facia section?

I do prefer a light greenish tint to my instrumentation as opposed to white. I will have to see which is preferred once I open her up and look at those oft culprit boots.

Here is a picture of the Spur I am working on along with the proud owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCB_With_Rolls_Royce_8_X_10_With_Deepend_Colors.jpg (291.6 KB, 9 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode