Adding coolant/what kind - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Adding coolant/what kind

There is a coolant reservoir next to the radiator and it's almost empty. Is this where I would add coolant and if so what kind?

Thank you,

Stephen

1989 Bentley Turbo R (work in progress)
1995 Jaguar XJR6 (work in progress)
2006 Maserati Gran Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 PM

Hi Stephen, yes that's where it goes, there's been a lot of discussions on various forums and it's up to you to make an informed decision having done your research, however to be safe 50% solution of standard ethylene glycol change every 2 years antifreeze will be fine.
Once the bottle is about 2/3 full put on the cap and remove the plug in the top of the radiator and using a small funnel make sure the radiator is completely filled, refit the plug and run the car to temperature and it should be fine.
I'm sure others will have their pet methods but that works for me
Graham
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys...really appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Stephen

1989 Bentley Turbo R (work in progress)
1995 Jaguar XJR6 (work in progress)
2006 Maserati Gran Sport

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 PM

I went through the whole coolant issue a few months ago (2-EHA, which is an additive common in coolants, contains plasticisers, which apparently prematurely erode Bentley silicone head gaskets). I decided to go the extra length to find a good 2-EHA free coolant. The only brand I was able to find is what the Bentley dealer told me they use: Shell Zone 50/50 mix. I couldn't find it in stores, and had to order it online from E & L Petroleum Products in California. It cost as much for delivery as it did for the actual six gallons.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Peak Global Lifetime (which, if the system is thoroughly flushed, is meant as a fill it once and forget it formulation) is 2-EHA-free and should be available at any NAPA store and many others.

Also, Recochem makes "house" antifreeze for a number of auto parts stores that gets labeled as Global Extended Life 50/50 premix, that is also 2-EHA free. You have to double check the safety data sheet or technical data sheet for what you're buying. I wrote to Recochem customer service to verify what I bought before I bought it.

I put SuperTech Extended Life [Wal-Mart's house brand and a 5 yr/50K mile formulation] in my Shadow II in August 2011 and have had no issues. I don't believe it's 2-EHA free but was one of the formulations with trace amounts of 2-EHA. [Addendum: In checking the MSDS I've confirmed that this formulation is not 2-EHA-free. It contains 1-5% 2-EHA. So we're heading into 3 years now without issue. All of the horror stories out there about early extended life formulations (most DexCool, I suspect) and seal failure on our cars I've seen talk about the cars beginning to weep within a matter of a few days to a few weeks, at most.]

Also, BASF's Glysantin coolants are an option. I think I've written about those elsewhere here.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 04:44 AM

Garage
Hi All
I have blue coolant in my car (turbo r), any suggestions of a safe antifreeze/anticorrosion readily available in UK like comma, halfords, bluecol etc?
Thanks
Mike

chassis 27650
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 PM

Garage
Hi Brian
I just googled 2EHA free coolant, what a can of worms that reveals!
Cheers
Mike
ps I'm still looking

chassis 27650
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 12:47 PM

Garage
Mike,

Blue would suggest an "old-school" IAT anti-freeze. If you're happy with the 2-year change intervals, then you can avoid the whole 2-EHA mess and stick with an IAT. Gulf still makes one which I usually get from OpieOils:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69399-gu...rotection.aspx

Coma's "Super Coldmaster" is also an IAT, but some of my local places just stock their "Super Longlife" version (which is an OAT).

Cheers,
Jeff.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebentleyturbo2 View Post
Hi All
I have blue coolant in my car (turbo r), any suggestions of a safe antifreeze/anticorrosion readily available in UK like comma, halfords, bluecol etc?
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

There are several people on the Aussie forums who live in the UK who have mentioned using Comma and, I believe, Halfords.

It's really a simple matter to check the MSDS for any given manufacturer's coolant to check to see if it's 2-EHA free. I will add that SRH33576 will be due for her coolant change this summer, since the SuperTech coolant I used was Extended Life, not lifetime, and it has been in the car with its 1 to 5 percent 2EHA for just a few months short of 5 years now and the car has never leaked a drop from any seal anywhere.

The further out from the early disasters that were reported we get the more convinced I become that these were most likely caused by people using early DexCool formulations in our cars. DexCool was never meant for our cars and the early formulations were far higher in 2EHA than later ones now are. Other than avoiding DexCool, I'll probably be less cautious than I once had been rather than more so. It only takes a few minutes on the internet or on the phone to confirm whether a coolant has 2EHA and/or is compatible with silicone seals.

Another panic that while based in what had been a kernel of truth, was grossly overblown and is utterly resistant to being eradicated by exposure to facts.

The blue stuff you have in your car sounds like one of the BASF Glysantin line made for Mercedes-Benz, and I know of others using that.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 01:32 PM

Garage
Hi Brian & Jeyjey
I just googled 2EHA free coolant, what a can of worms that reveals!
Think I've got it now antifreeze containing OAT is organic acids and avoid at all costs!
The one to go for is IAT inorganic inhibitors.
Blue blucol or carplan blue star, there are others.
Thanks for all the info , last thing I want to do is fix the water pump leak only to make leak somewhere even worse!
Cheers
Mike

chassis 27650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode