Thermostat - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Thermostat

Well i am puting some photos up for you to look at
and if you look closely at the Thermostat you will see a small gap
this was allowing just enough cold water in to keep the temp down and thermostat from opening fully
As i was in Having fun i all so did other jobs as well so don't have to go back for a very long time i hope
Also if you look at the old one you will see it has a By Pass hole and the BMW one didn't but it has Know this was on the Link that Brian gave Me so Thanks Brian
i would suggest to any body that is going to do this to get all the parts ready and all so you don't need to take the Throttle body of but it is a bit tricky to get the rubber connecting pipe back on and the turbo pipe as well but it isn't that bad

Bentleyman22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Very useful thanks
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

went to the pub in it tonight and the Wife is also happy parking the Honda up and taking the Bentley to work tomorrow Me gets Honda

Bentleyman22

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:27 PM

Michael,

Did you test out whether the bypass disc will extend far enough when the thermostat opens to close the bypass port? I ask because if you did I see that this is a MotoRad thermostat and that's one I have no direct dimensional data on in regard to whether the extension for the bypass disc is far enough.

It looks like you're using "non-standard" (and by that, I mean Crewe standard issue) antifreeze as well. You would not believe the amount of endless controversy that surrounds switching antifreeze in these cars. Based on my research and having gone to long-life antifreeze in my SY cars anyone is safe if they make sure that the antifreeze in question does not contain 2-EHA (and these days most don't, but you still need to check). The blue stuff tends to be standard issue for Mercedes Benz.

The UE36600 thermostat is subject to multiple mechanisms of failure, and you can see that the lead alloy plugs on yours are showing signs of corrosion. You can see the same thing on one I removed from my Shadow II and a complete failure (with no signs of any overheating) of multiple plugs on one I took out of my Silver Wraith II. Given that Crewe recommends that you replace the UE36600 every two years I cannot imagine why anyone would continue to use it. A standard wax-pellet thermostat with moving parts made of the correct metals should have a virtually perpetual service life.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Hi Brian Yes i did check i put it in hot water to make shore it was working and all so measured how far it opened and then checked the port all ok
all so as you can see i have put a bleed hole in and put the little stopper in
as for antifreeze yes it isn't standard i have all ways used this and never had a problem
when i worked for Jaguar it is all we used and on the Rovers we never had a problem ether
i use it on all the Aston's and Porsche 911's
all so as you know Jaguars are very temperamental and the Radiator on V12 the tubes are very fine and clog up it was very conmen to change radiators under warranty and for cars coming it with heating problem so i stick with this and up till know haven't had a problem
all so if you look at the jacket it is like new and even the sender unit when removed i was expecting it to be corroded as it was in there from new but nothing i wont be saying what antifreeze it is as you say non stranded and don't want them down under giving me stick
HaHa
Michael

Bentleyman22
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

This is the part No

Bentleyman22
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleyman22
i wont be saying what antifreeze it is as you say non standard and don't want them down under giving me stick
HaHa
Michael
The last people, as a group, who are likely to make an issue of the use of something other than Crewe Original Parts or fluids specified by Crewe are the Aussies. They're quite a practical crowd and don't suffer from the delusions caused by the veneration of Rolls-Royce cars rather than seeing them as simply fine automobiles.

If you've been using this antifreeze for any extended period of time with a Crewe built V8 engine I'd ask that you do identify what it is. A great deal of long-term damage to many of these cars occurs because Crewe specified old-fashioned antifreeze with a corrosion inhibitor technology that expires in two-years time. They kept using this long after all the rest of the automotive world had moved on to either extended-life coolant or lifetime coolant. Most people don't realize this when they're new to these cars nor would there be any reason to suspect this sort of idiocy, either.

So, share brand, type, and how long you've been using it in Crewe engine. It's an addition to the knowledge base for keeping these cars alive and on the road.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

all i will say is have a read of this

http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/...s%20090310.pdf

Bentleyman22
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Michael,

This document is just the kind of "half truth" information that I've been decrying for some years now.

There is no doubt, absolutely none, that when the DexCool OAT formulations were first introduced there were numerous seal disasters in classic cars. The original formulation used 2-EHA which attacked certain seals rather aggressively. There was a huge lawsuit in the US which the plaintiffs won since the claim had been made that this coolant was universally backward compatible but wasn't. That, of course, triggered changes in the formulation to prevent seal degradation. Still, most people err on the side of caution and do not use DexCool formulations in classic cars.

There are lots of OAT and HOAT formulations that do not use 2-EHA and that are not problematic in classic cars. Most recently I purchased a box of Recochem OEM 50/50 Prediluted Global Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant because the local auto parts emporium had a very good deal on it. Of course, I wrote to Recochem to confirm that this formulation does not contain 2-EHA.

A good many of the newer extended life/lifetime antifreezes are ethylene glycol based, just like the old stuff, but it's the corrosion inhibitor packages that have changed. I find the comments about antifreeze's ability to "find the tiniest hole and cause leakages," both amusing and confusing. Well, it may do that, but since that has nothing to do with the basic chemistry of antifreeze and everything to do with a compromised cooling system, you can pretty much count on that happening if there is a hole to be found and you use any antifreeze.

In closing, I invite people to go out and find as many of "the disaster stories" on antifreeze as they can. Almost invariably they contain two common elements:

- they are not written in the first person, but are of the, "a friend of mine," or, "a friend of a friend" format

- the disasters are virtually always reported to have occurred within less than two weeks of the antifreeze change, sometimes within days

These stories may be true, but they are also quite isolated and all the reports are 10 years old or older (barring repetition). You have to ask yourself how many classic car owners have not heard these stories and have been merrily changing their antifreeze with what can be conveniently purchased from their local auto parts store or department store. There have got to be millions that fit into this category, yet we're not hearing anything about ongoing issues with seals.

The manufacturers of these products know about the early issues and the product liability that they will be subject to if they make "universally compatible" claims that don't hold up.

I'm not alone (and I know it and have confirmed it) in using extended life antifreeze in a Crewe V8 without issue.

I'm doing whatever I can to chip away at the urban legend that only old-fashioned, change every two years, IAT (Inorganic Acid Technology - if memory serves) antifreeze is the only thing suitable for our and other "classic cars." This is a situation where using the latest technology is a distinct advantage, not a disadvantage, to our cars.

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

this is why i am consernd as i am in the motor trade and i recommend something then something happens i am to blame so it is best to keep out of it but i will say i do change the Antifreeze every 2 years just becose i can and
i do it as i check the cooling system for leeks hard pipes and clamps that are not serviceable
so sorry Brian i would Love to Help but with out seeing the car i wont recommend any fluid for it
Michael

Bentleyman22

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode