Bentley 2000 Arnage Red Label Blown Head Gaskets - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Phantom

Bentley 2000 Arnage Red Label Blown Head Gaskets

Hello I have a 2000 Arnage Red Label the head gaskets blew. I am fully aware the design of the gaskets was faulty from Bentley and that this is a common issue with Red Labels. I was hoping to get some advice from fellow owners who have been in my position before because I am really stuck. I just don't know what to do I have been quoted an astronomical price for the repair by my Bentley dealer I was then quoted another astronomical price that was just within a few hundred dollars of the dealers price by an independent mechanic who was also trying to charge 600.00 MORE for the head gasket set then Bentley Charges. I know several red label owners have been thru this before. I suppose I am asking how difficult and what type of skill does it take to complete this job? can any skilled mechanic who has never touched a Rolls or Bentley tackle this for me? I really want to fix my car but I also look at the fact that the repair cost nearly overtakes the value of the car it is 13 years old and just hit 100,000 miles before this happened very low resale value in running condition and i am sure many of you understand where I am coming from on this So I am seeking other options than a dealer or over priced independent mechanic.

Its sad that we have to deal with Bentley's mistakes like this because from what I have been told and found out on my own this was a factory problem from the 00s-03s I was on the interstate driving my steady speed when my blew it had never overheated prior and did not show signs of overheating by the gauge after it happened.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM

where do you Live ???

Bentleyman22
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Phantom

I live in the southeast United States

My Cars

2000 Bentley Arnage Red Label

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG V12 Bi Turbo

1981 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit

1977 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

2003 Jaguar XJ8-L

1986 Porsche 928s

1987 Jaguar VDP !SOLD!

1985 Chevrolet Corvette

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 AM

I could do with a holiday - would you like me to price it up for you ?

serious offer by the way !
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 AM

you have pm !
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Phantom

A head gasket replacement is going to be very expensive any way you slice it. A lot of stuff has to be removed just to access it. And, of course, if you have the heads off then it's worth giving the valves a going through as well particularly if the heads have not been off before and with those miles.

Then, it may not be just the head gasket. If you didn't overheat the car then the heads should still be straight but you never know until they're checked. If there's a warp then there's some time and money to get the mating surface flat.

Selling the car with a blown head gasket won't be any fun at all - you'll take a big hit.

I'd just pay the money to get the heads squared away and then get back to enjoying your car......
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Phantom

Repairing Head Gaskets

After deliberating my options ( pay dealer over 25,000 for the repair) (pay independent shop around 15,000 for repair) ( allow an independent shop with absolutely no experience or knowledge about my car to do the repair for around 10,000 and risk messing something up do to lack of experience)

I decided to complete the job myself (because if anyone has the right to mess something up on our cars it should be us the owners not a mechanic)

I tore the engine down to the heads it took me about 2 days to properly remove and mark everything the most trouble i had was with the throttle body, exhaust manifolds and turbo removal. The gaskets were in terrible condition A bank was blown B was not but it was only a matter of time!!

The heads are at a shop being resurfaced, checked and they are changing valve stem seals and a few other things to make them like new again. When I get them back I will start the reassembly.

I will keep everyone posted and when I get it back together! Lets hope I can remember where everything goes

My Cars

2003 Jaguar XJ8-L

1986 Porsche 928s

1987 Jaguar VDP !SOLD!

1985 Chevrolet Corvette
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 06:50 AM

Hi i am pleased your doing it your self
good luck and if you need any thing let us know
Michael

Bentleyman22
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM

me too.

I actually worked on that motor in the design office at Crewe, so ask away if you need any info.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Phantom

ITS DONE!!

Thank you guys so much for your support it was great to know if I had issues I had people to help! I finished my car today! I got my heads back on tuesday and just finished complete reassembly today (saturday) My car started on the first key turn! and runs beautifully I am just in amazement! I will post some pictures of my engine completely disassembled later on I just wanted to give a quick update on how everything was I am completely exhausted considering Ive worked on the car sometimes until 2 or 3 am so I am off to bed now!!

My Cars

2003 Jaguar XJ8-L

1986 Porsche 928s

1987 Jaguar VDP !SOLD!

1985 Chevrolet Corvette

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode