Another interior light problem - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Another interior light problem

When I got my Turbo R it had a couple of electrical issues, one was a full earth on the cigar lighter circuit which meant the fuel flap didn't work either, this was traced to the base of the lighter in the centre console where the lighter must have stuck in at some time and melted the plastic insulator between the 2 terminals in the base, changed that out and now can open the fuel flap from inside the car.
Second one is with the interior lights, even with the doors closed if I fit a new fuse it blows after a few seconds so guess I've got a short somewhere, any suggestions where I can split the circuit to help to find where the short might be?
Thanks
Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 AM

Hi graham

1st thing I would check would be the door light switches in each door they can be a weak point I had 1 switch misbehaving with similar results a good clean and application of electric grease got it working without shorting out

Silver shadow MKII 1977 SRH31709
old English white
Chris
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Hi that sounds a good place to start, I was going to try disconnecting multi plugs in the footwells etc but when I got in there the wiring was so tight it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped!
Thanks
Graham

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 AM

Graham,

Also check to see if the bonnet light is hooked up correctly.

I have a Silver Wraith II that was exhibiting the same symptom and it turned out that someone had reconnected the bonnet light connections such that a short circuit was constantly there. After that was corrected so was my interior light issue.

Brian
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that Brian I'll check that out next time I'm having a burst of enthusiasm!
Graham
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 AM

interior lights/courtesy lights

Found a possible source of a short to earth on my 81 Spirit.
RH footwell connectors to RH door, where the wires pass through the body behind the connectors, the protective grommet for the loom was adrift and the wires were able to chafe on the metal.
Disconnecting the connector block I was able to prove the door lock switch
was not making contact with the door open.
Next problem is to access the unserviceable switch. I may have to cut away part of the door inner skin and fit a repair patch afterwards.
The fuseboard light switch is the same part number so i think I will use that on the door lock.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, I'll be checking all those dark corners when I get home in a few weeks time, when I got my car the drivers footwell was very wet and I suspect this may be something to do with my problem, funny thing is since Ive dried it out the wet hasn't returned.
Thanks
Graham
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 AM

interior lights/courtesy lights

I used the fuse board light switch to replace the bad one on the front rh door lock. access was by removing the waistrail capping. Difficult to disconnect the rods to the lock, but using a loop of locking wire through a small hole in the inner steel panel, I was able to pull the rod end away from the lock lever. removing the 3 c'sk screws the lock then fell away into the bottom of the door, and then I could disengage the last rod.
New switches arrived by post from "Classic Bits" yesterday, only £2.25 each.
The fuseboard switch is now replaced and next week I'll tackle the other 2 door switches that are not working(weather permitting)
David.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Cheers David, that's handy to know, I'm still away for the next couple of weeks but hope to get this one sorted when I get home, that switch looks very similar to a TR6 brake light switch, I know they give a lot of trouble.
Thanks
Graham
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Hi David, I assume this is the one you used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-124S...item33804108b6 I thought it looked like the brake light swith in my TR6!
Regards
Graham

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode