New 1982 Spur Owner (Interior Lights) - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

New 1982 Spur Owner (Interior Lights)

Just purchased a 82 Spur. The interior lights are staying on all the time even with the doors shut. Could it be the delay relay not working? If so, where is it located? I also spent a long time trying to find where the door switches are to turn on/off the interior lights. I absolutely could not find them. I readily see them on my Silver Shadows. Any help appreciated.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM

Re: New 1982 Spur Owner (Interior Lights)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzjag
Just purchased a 82 Spur. The interior lights are staying on all the time even with the doors shut. Could it be the delay relay not working? If so, where is it located? I also spent a long time trying to find where the door switches are to turn on/off the interior lights. I absolutely could not find them. I readily see them on my Silver Shadows. Any help appreciated.

Richard
Most like water has got into switches which are located within the door on the lock mechanism , door trims off to locate
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 AM

'82 Spur interior lights staying on.

could you define which lights are staying on please.
There is a time delay unit and an associated relay that could be source of the problem.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Interior lights: light globes above the doors. Not dash lights, etc.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 AM

interior lights

It looks like the time delay unit is situated in the main electrical box below the glove locker. sorry I cant be more specific than that.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 AM

interior lights

I have done a bit more digging and checking on my '81 spirit.
any of the four doors open should bring on the interior lights plus the seatbelt warning lamp. With all 4 doors closed the time delay unit should relax the interior lights relay after about 4 or 5 seconds.
If you remove that relay at the fuseboard, it is possible to check for a positive supply at the relay holder with a voltmeter.
If no volts present there, with all doors closed, then that would indicate that the door switches are ok.(open cct) and that the fault is with the time delay or the relay
The relay can be swapped with any other of the same rating to prove serviceability.
Hope all this makes sense and helps.
Good luck.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

I have found at least part of the problem: two cheap plastic door light switches have broken off in the door locks. Is it difficult to remove the locks for replacement? I have been using my test wires to test the system (simulating the actual switch).

As a result, the driver's door interior light only comes on when I open the driver's door. Other words, if all the other lights come on, the driver's door light will not come on until that door is opened. Likewise, when the driver's door is opened, none of other interior lights will come on! When I open the driver's door, I hear a relay click under the steering compartment up toward the dash. It is the second relay among two from the left (LHD car). I have looked at wiring diagram and do not see this relay is related to the interior lights? Removing this relay causes the driver's door light not to come on. I have also replaced that relay with no joy! Any help appreciated!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM

interior lights

hi benzjag.I have had another session studying the wiring diagram.your defect has me mystified.
Q1. When you simulate opening the drivers door, do the door edge and step lights come on at all four doors as well as the dome light at the drivers door ?
Q2. If you open either rear door, do the door edge and step lights come on at all four doors ?
Q3. What other lights are on when rear door is open ?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Doesn't pulling the light switch out switch on the interior lights, worth checking before you dismember your interior
Graham
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:24 PM

interior lights

Pulling the side/headlamp switch out will only switch on the drivers map light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode