Sanden Compressor - exact model number please? - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sanden Compressor - exact model number please?

Hi All,

Really appreciate the help received on this forum!

As recorded in another thread, I am looking to upgrade my air con in SAE09075...

I'm looking to change to a more modern, Sanden compressor (from the Harrison A6) and am thinking of using the brackets from a later model RR/Bentley to fit the compressor. However, to know exactly which compressor to fit, I need to know the various model numbers. I want to fit a compressor that was designed for R134a from the outset.

To that end, please could a few people with later model cars post with the exact model Sanden compressor their car has? And the model and year of their car?

Many thanks,

Andrew

• 1984 Renault 5 Gordini Turbo
  • 1992 Renault 21 Turbo Quadra
  • 1992 Alpine Renault A610 Turbo
  • 1984 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Further to this, if anyone could post some detailed photos of the brackets around the compressor - showing how the brackets mount to the compressor, inlet manifold, front of engine, alternator, etc., I would be even more grateful!

Thanks,

Andrew

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:45 PM

Garage
Good evening, May I ask why you want to change the compressor please? We are apart from other things licenced to work on AC systems as we sell and repair American Motorhomes, I have carried out a fair bit of research on the change over from when R12 was the normal gas to use, to what can now be used safely, this I have found to be R413a (which also has another trade name). From the research, R413a can be used in a system that previously ran R12. I will be carrying this change over out on my own RR Shadow II in order to prove it. The one other advantage of R413a is the fact that the coefficient of this means that it even offers better cooling than the old R12, and that in itself is fairly remarkable whilst also being a non-Freon gas. We have one other resident of our industrial estate that repairs and restores classic cars, at the moment he is doing an Aston Martin DB6, so this is another we will be refilling it after a vac and check. I have to say I will be also replacing the 'O' rings, but I do not HAVE to, its just me. But if you are doing it to simply change from R12 to R134a, you do not have to. On a final note, the old mineral oil is compatible with R413a as well. The only downside I have found so far is that it is not that cheap, but neither is changing the compressor nor the possible other damage that can occur, the bonus is the better cooling that it offers. Kindest regards, Simon (Mercury RV)

Last edited by Mercury RV; 06-17-2017 at 05:47 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Simon,

I've heard that R134a is less good at cooling than R12, with the same equipment. An upgraded, modern condenser should help though. You are right about not having to do all this

And R413a should be able to directly replace R12.

However, I want to, if I can! The Sanden compressors are less parasitic than the Harrison, more efficient and quieter. I also like the idea that my air con can be serviced anywhere

Andrew

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage
Yes people have said that you can retrofit R134a, well you can put what you like in it, even seen people who fill them with straight liquid propane, yes it works, how long for I have no idea and I would never do that, I seem to recall propane has a habit of catching fire........so why would you use it?

R413a is a replacement, yes it is more expensive than R134a, but it runs much colder and it works with the mineral oil in the system, so you do not have to drain it, in saying that I would still suggest removing the compressor and draining it, then refill using new oil and R413a. I am sorry I cannot answer your question about the different compressor, but will wait with interest what others have to say and any information they may have, hopefully all factual and not conjecture, or the man in the pub said this was right. The other thing is, you will need to work out the weight of refrigerant you need when changing from R12 to another refrigerant, it will be different, as well as the oil used. Enjoy your Rolls Royce!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode