Corniche II Tyres - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Corniche II Tyres

Hi all- Has anyone had experience using 235 70R15 tyres instead of the specified 235 70HR15's?
I understand that the HR is a higher speed rating, likely to account for the heavy weight so that
there was certainly a reason when RR specified that rating.
However- How adverse is going to the lower rating as far as ride and handling?
I certainly have no intent of driving my car much faster than maybe 85mph (not that there's anywhere I could if I wished...).

Cheers,
chef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:20 PM

I am not certain of what you're asking here, since you've omitted both the load rating and speed rating for the contemporary tire(s) your considering.

In current terms, the original tires would be 235/70R15 xxxH with an unknown (xxx) load rating, as those weren't used then, and the H speed rating was the closest approximation for knowing what would now be a load rating of at least 100, probably several numbers higher.

Any tire of:
1. the appropriate size [or as close as one can get in current production],
2. with a load rating of 100 or higher [and I've never seen anything below 102 in this size, 105 is common and I've seen up to 108],
3. and a speed rating congruent with how you drive [and I've never seen lower than S in this size, which permits sustained driving speeds of 112 MPH]
exceeds anything necessary for driving in any country with speed limits (and I'm speaking from a functional aspect - what the law or your insurer might dictate are separate issues).

See the webpage at tirerack.com: How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 05:41 AM

I have the Maxis 235 75R15, whitewall. Love them. Smooth, silent, balanced and interestingly, they won't go square if the car sits for a month. But the real plus is the 75 in the number, providing you more curb clearance (for the US readers: we don't have those rounded-style curbs here, but edgy wheel-killers instead).
The higher aspect ratio may give this tyre more ''buoyancy'' too, resulting in the smooth ride.
I heard that Hankook makes 75s whitewall too, and that those have a good reputation as well.
On the US RROC, someone sells 5 new Hankooks for a bit over 300USD, fyi.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Like JP, I too have 235/75R15s on both my cars. Kumho Solus KR21s (now no longer available in whitewall, I believe) on SRH33576 and Hankook Optimo H724s on LRK37110.

RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation and search for the section where I discuss what tire sizes can be fitted to the SY cars based on chassis number. The wheel arch configuration changed a bit over time. Since this is one of the SZ Corniches in SY body style the 235/75R15 should be just fine.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. Very helpful.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:55 PM

Garage
I also Have the Hankooks on my car and they work very well, look nice with the white wall and are very reasonably priced, I was actually surprised at how inexpensive they were.

Jon

"Gracie"
1979 SSII
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to dougal
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM

I agree Dougals, Michelin are the best, but a little more noise and a little less "souple " in terms of confort.
But my priority wa ans still iss road master.

As requested in another topic, could you provide AVON CR 228 D ?

Jean

Continental R . 1997

Last edited by Jean7; 05-15-2017 at 05:39 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Great video. Bit of fun watching an RHD. Oddly, I'm one of those who wants a white wall, so the handling will suffer.
I think the Michelin (in the states) are 235/70HR15 (there's that pesky "H" rating).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode