Another none starter - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Another none starter

I would appreciate some guidance please to solve a problem with my RHD 1990 Bentley Turbo R Chasis SCBZR---33082.

The car was running perfectly prior to the problem.

In order to check the operation of the handbrake pads, the car was placed in neutral and the rear wheels removed in turn to clean/adjust the pads.

I started the car (still in neutral ) after completing the work but thought I heard a strange noise from the rear so switched off the engine to investigate. The car now refuses to crank. When the key is turned, I can hear a solenoid operating under the dash on the drivers side ( right hand drive vehicle ). If headlights are on, they go out when the key is turned.

So far, I have;

Checked fuses under glove box on passenger side.

Cleaned battery terminals and ensured it is fully charged.

Removed and cleaned battery earth strap in boot.

Confirmed that there is a good earth to engine ( ran a cable from positive terminal on battery and earthed on engine via multi meter )

Checked ( by substitution ) the starter and inhibit relays in the engine compartment. There are NO audible clicks from either
of them when the ignition key is turned. There is power to both solenoids.

Tried gear selection whilst turning key. I can hear a clicking noise as each gear is selected.

MY THOUGHTS

A gear selection problem based on the fact that it was the last thing I touched ! I understand that a micro switch controls the ignition side of things. Perhaps the car thinks it is in Drive ?

Possible alarm ecu ( replaced with a brand new unit in Sept 2007 so due for an internal battery change ).

Thank you in advance for any help / guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:47 AM

Confirmed that there is a good earth to engine ( ran a cable from positive terminal on battery and earthed on ?????

These are negative ground cars
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:01 PM

It could possibly be the neutral safety switch on the gear selector, which will only allow the car to start when it's in Park or Neutral.

If you can get a helper it would be useful to know whether the electric gear selector itself under the car is indeed working when the gears are shifted. If so, I'd try starting the car when it's in neutral, then in park, to see if it works in either. If the gears aren't being shifted then there are a number of other things that need to be checked.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:36 PM

Hi Ed,

to complete above, your selector is down or at steeering wheel ?
When you turn the key, does the light commes on or not ? When you turn the key to crank, do you feel a resistance from the spinr or not ?
Question is to know if it may be the switch box ( ridiculous and stupid plastic coupling) or not .

Jean

Continental R . 1997
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Was the "strange noise" the starter motor drive stuck in the ring gear?
That would be the first thing I would check. With the lights going out on trying to start, if the battery connections are ok, that is the most likely problem.

Jake.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:39 PM

"If headlights are on, they go out when the key is turned. "

Strange, it looks like your battery is not powerfull enough or a main wire is not screwed enough.
Could you try with another battery ? because you might have one or 2 elements which died or short cut on yours.

It happended to me recently on another car, the battery died suddenly. I stopped the car to put gas, impossible to restart.

Jean

Continental R . 1997
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 04:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to BentleyEight
I agree with Jean, sounds like a weak battery.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Bentley Brooklands 1996 -
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies and advice.

I called out a breakdown service and they tested the battery and advised OK. They tried to start the car with jump leads but no joy. They advised possibly the starter motor. I have a spare battery that is known to be good so will swap them anyway.

Given that I had found out that I needed to change the battery in the alarm ecu, I went ahead and dismantled the dash to gain access. The alarm ecu was new in 2007 and fitted with a sealed Yuasa 12v 1.2 Ah battery so no leaking onto the circuit board. I took a reading off the battery of 5.47 volt. I have ordered a new battery (£10.50 including postage ) which will be with me next week. Interestingly, the supplier advises that the battery only has a life of five years so I will make a note to change after four ! Not sure if the replacement battery will solve the problem but worth a try and certainly cheap.

I will check operation of the gear selection when my assistant ( wife !) returns from shopping just to eliminate that.

Thanks again for your time and effort in helping me solve the problem.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Garage
Hang on you connected the positive+ to the engine earth block - ????, if so see what you can sell the car for salvage would be my guess
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Hi Mike.

I disconnected the earth on the battery then took a wire from the positive terminal and connected it to my red multi meter probe then put the black probe onto the earth strap of the engine. The purpose being to check whether or not the earthing side of things was OK. Did I make a big mistake ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode