Oh dear......my head gasket - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh dear......my head gasket

What a coincidence, having been talking about head gaskets on the other thread recently - I accelerated onto the M6 earlier today - well, booted it hard off the sliproad, and all of a sudden, rough running. I left the motorway shortly after and nursed the car carefully - running very rough at tickover. Then shortly after, coolant warning on the dot matrix - pulled over straight away into a retail park - quite a bit of pressure in the expansion tank, and bubbling over if cap left off. Temperature gauge didn't rise too much.

I was only a mile from home, so I bought some coolant in the Halfords store I was conveniently parked next too, let it cool a bit, and nursed it home.

I'll report on costs as and when they happen.

I felt this day was going to happen sooner or later.....!

1996 model year Continental R 53165
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 PM

Garage
Had a lot of problems with my coolant warning light recently. Finally solved at great expense as due to faulty wiring and connection to the sensor.
During the course of the search for a solution some radiator sealant was added to the cooling system and someone suggested that this would help avoid head gasket problems. I am not even sure if this is a problem with a 2002 Arnage T but I would welcome opinions

Paul
Bentley Boy
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Garage
You need to get a coolant pressure tester onto the expansion tank, pump it up to 13psi,start the car and if the pressure goes up then you're getting combustion pressure into the cooling system=Head gasket.
But don't forget that my Conti radiator did not hold pressure on the top seal and the cap failed a pressure hold test so you need to eliminate them first but don't hold your breath.

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:55 PM

Singlemalt, are you sure you blew off head gasket ?

Why did you feel it may happen ?

Jean

Continental R . 1997
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 06:08 PM

Oh dear. Well it can (and will?) happen to any of us i suppose.
On mine it was done by the previous owner already thankfully.
Let us know how you proceed from here.

1990 Range Rover Classic Vogue SE 3.9 V8
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 Auto
Jaguar XJ40 & X300's (Too many!)
1997 Bentley Turbo R LWB
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:25 PM

Garage
Is this a full fat turbo problem or endemic to all of the 6750 V8s? Having heard some serious horror stories on the price of repair, I dread this going on my car (LPT) as I have spent several small fortunes on this car already and another BIG bill would hurt... rather a lot!

Sorry about your car though, I was worried about my own when I read this but then, I have always been selfish. Hope you get her sorted easily/inexpensively and soon.

Learning to spend without fear...
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As far as I am aware, the turbo cars are more prone to failure than non-turbo. I don't know about LPT.

I was expecting it to occur sooner or later.

post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean7 View Post
Singlemalt, are you sure you blew off head gasket ?

Why did you feel it may happen ?

Jean
It can often happen, I believe, when the engine is being put under some heavy demand, especially a turbocharged engine - the gasket can't take the pressure any more. Afterwards, all the usual gasket failure signs (drop in coolant, pressurised expansion tank, temperature rising)

post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 04:20 AM

Garage
The word on the street is that's its the later intercooled engines, and high output variants, due to the additional power I guess.
Gasket technology is probably better these days.
' I don't know if she can take any more Captain'
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:38 AM

Thank you Singlemalt for explanation on the motorway M6.
Let me give you my modest opinion, for having a Turbo air/air then air to water and having studied a little.

On airr/air before 1996, head gasket on the first Turbo were a classic. Apparently less on the last RR generation. MAye they change something in head gasket quality or cooling.

From 1996, we have air/water with intercooler and close to 400 hp. The air/ water intercooler is really a very high professional quality oe with a huge intercoler all above the admission, private network with electric pump, electric fan, private radiator, private expansion tank with it's own cooling.
Those cars are very powerfull but in my opnion much ready for the high power.
But there are key points :

- engine oil . Myself I put Castrol Edge full synthetic 10 W60 . ( 60 is a high protection and heating resistance when very hot)
- engine coolant : should be replaced by a high quality one that you make your self from concentrate, 50%/ 50%. MAke sure there is no air in the system following Bentely procedure to fill
- turbo coolant ; same remarks, but there is a special procedure to replace it. Otherwise you get air so coolant is very bad. It took me 3 years to find the bst way to bleed it. Interccoler is at the highest level, not expansion tank, this is the problem. Procedure expalined n IETIS is not sufficient . You need to bleed directly ON the Intercooler when engine is warming hot. Otherwise there will be air.
Personnally, I am testing a 30% coolant 70% distilled water mixture to increase the coolant capacity, and keeping freeezing protection at -21°c, ok for France where I leave. Water is a much better cooler than alccol( glycol). You cannot go under this dilution, to preserve all the other chemical and galvanic protection. This particular mixture is only for the turbo cooling, as I remarked when hot the fan is often on.
Some professionals empty and refill with vacuum system, it might be the most simple and reliable but not the only one.
As far as I remember turbo as about 6liters coolant, but when you drain the radiator you can nonly replace 2 kiters, that's why it is important to drain it every 3 years and put high quallity.
- Make sure electric fan on turbo raditor, front right under head lights, is working and sender is informing him turbo coolant is hot. This fan is working very often. Make sure the raditaor is clean too.
- Calorstat/thermostat is a key point. Bryan participated to an excellent article. It looks like the old one UE.....is replaced but another one PG....., which seems to have interesting advantages and be more reliable. It is in this yellow iron, so one main advantage is there is no more galvanic reaction between inox, aluminum, iron, lead.... Brass is neutral and the new calorstat is completely in brass, with no leads securtiies as the previous one.

Allow me to wonder if all this was really OK on your car.

Now, check indeed if your egine coolant expansion tank seal is really in good condition.
Because if this simple seal is leaking, that will explain coolant coming out of the tank with pressure, loss of 1 liter or more coolant, high temperature, lake of coolant.....`
Maybe it's only that ?

Do you have coolant in the oil when you check the level ?
Is your car exhaut giving sign of white smoke with oil and water mixture ?

I insist, make sure your expansion BEHR cap is in good condition, specially the seal inside.
Or maybe your calorsta UE.....is just block ?

In any case, now, you should replace the calorsta because of overheating and lead security might have disappear.
I suggest you put the new one PG.....

Jean

Continental R . 1997

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode