1981 silver spirit A/C blower motor climate control issues - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Phantom

1981 silver spirit A/C blower motor climate control issues

Hello everyone! I have a few issues I would like to see if I could get help with my a/c system has been working correctly until a few days ago it seems the system is stuck on cold air when I spin the top dial to adjust the temp it does not control the actuators to move so I cannot get heat unless I turn the knob to DEF and manually click the FACIA switch to direct the air thru the FACIA this is the only setting i can get he at to flow the control dials are inoperable I am also having Issues with my blower motors they will not come on or blow. they have been working only when they want to currently they have not been working at all I can only get air flow when the Car is in motion would there happen to be a relay for the blower motors or for the temp control dials? I do believe the lower temp dial could be functioning because I slightly hear something moving when I turn the lower dial but nothing when the upper is moved PLEASE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Hi where are you ?

Bentleyman22
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Phantom

USA

Birmingham ALABAMA USA

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM

Hi From the UK
You’re going to have fun with this
The ECU plays up and is a common fault
BUT so do the flaps on the heater box if there not shut or open for which settings that you require this is also common
All I can think of is
Either send your ECU to John in the UK and have him check it this is the less labour intensive and will confirm if it is working
Or strip the Heater out and see if there is a problem
But this will be difficult unless you know the ECU is working
Michael

Bentleyman22
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Even before the ECU you need to check some of "the usual suspects". The climate control ECU is not one of the ones that typically and commonly goes round the bend, though it does happen sometimes.

Make certain that every fuse in your car is functioning. I think yours will still be the glass tube type and, if so, use a multimeter to do a continuity check across the ends of the fuse. Make sure that all the clips into which they fit are gripping them firmly.

Check all the relays, particularly the fan relays. Over time these tend to develop corrosion at the connections in the engine bay and get wonky. Popping them out and cleaning the terminals with steel wool is one of my favorite ways to get rid of oxidation/corrosion. I received the following advice regarding my Shadow II, and it applies at least through the early SZ series cars as well I believe, "There are 2 fuses on the ledge under the passenger blower motor housing. 1 is dummy, other is for ACU Fans, and THE fuel door RELEASE. If your fuel door solenoid is inop(key OFF only), then you go there first. ALSO, Check every fuse in the fuse board with a test light.n Not just looking at the label."

There are chronic issues with both the flap actuator motors and the bushings at the flaps themselves decaying. Also sometimes the cables become sticky.

Were I a betting man I'd suspect you probably have some bushing issues accompanied by fuse and/or relay inconsistency.

You might also want to consider joining the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club (US) and getting involved with your region.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 06:07 PM

Brian,

I realize the post I am reading is six years old, but can you explain what you mean by the ledge in this quote? "There are 2 fuses on the ledge under the passenger blower motor housing. 1 is dummy, other is for ACU Fans, and THE fuel door RELEASE. If your fuel door solenoid is inop(key OFF only), then you go there first.

My fuel door release solenoid only works when the key is off, I thought it was designed this way. It sounds like I may have a fuse or relay out? Where is the ledge you mention?

Thanks for all your helpful comments on the forum. It has been extremely helpful to me.

Duane

Duane Ridenour
South Carolina
86 Silver Spur
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 PM

What I was trying to say is that the electric fuel door release does not function unless the car is turned off. Many people try to pop the fuel door when the car is running and it won't open with the dash button then (as a safety feature, I presume).

You need to double check the wiring diagrams for your car, which are available from the RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library.

I am not at home at the moment, so I can't take a picture to show you exactly what I mean by the "ledge" under the duct work on the passenger side, but in the Shadow cars there is a small one. If memory serves, the fuse in question is in a round plastic case with a spare included inside the case.

However, if the wiring is the same for your early SZ car as for the SYs, and your fuel door will open when the car is not running by pressing the button on the dash, then that fuse isn't your problem.

I hope this helps at least a bit.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 04:55 AM

Here is a photograph of the position of the small fuse box. It is the small, black, rectangular object with the thumbscrew on top. The photo is of a 1979 Shadow 2 but I think your Spirit will be the same. The circular hole is where the right side blower motor fits. From memory, if this fuse blows, I don't think the fans will work at all, even on defrost. As has already been said, the front glass fuse is the one which protects the circuits, the rear one is not wired and is a spare.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Chris
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Yes that helps. Now I feel like a fool seeing the picture of the ledge. My mind was thinking inside the car. And, my fuel door works properly so I'll keep looking elsewhere. I can hear what sounds like a whine when I turn the AC switch on and when I press the Auto/Facia switch.

Based on what you said earlier, it could be the bushings since the fans work when 12v are applied to them, but no air comes through the vents.

Thanks for the help.

Duane Ridenour
South Carolina
86 Silver Spur
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Hi from the uk
Just had same problem on my silver spirit no current to fans ?
then the part you require is fan speed control module. Part No UD 22295.
Try Flyingspares uk about $165. Good luck happy new year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode