air conditioner in silver shadow II Rolls Royce - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
ziv

air conditioner in silver shadow II Rolls Royce

I am told by my car shop that freon for my Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II is no longer being made/sold. The shop says that the Silver Shadow II radiator/coolant system is being converted and I have to change it out. Do you have any other suggestions other than replacing the unit? Also, it is normal for the car to run really hot. The floor in the drivers area gets HOT!! I drive with the windows open until the situation with the ac/coolant system is resolved. Thanks for any insight.

marcie ziv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Marcie, did you ever resolve your A/C problem? My SSI car's A/C is down too, and its also still an R12 system. Freon (R12) is a fantastic refrigerant but it has ozone issues, or at least that's the government's position. Therefore, its taxed almost out of existence. Authorized shops CAN and DO buy it so you can get the system serviced. A replacement for R12 is R134a but you have to change a bunch of generic parts. Its argued to be less efficient than R12 in a system designed for R12. Perhaps these thoughts help.

Tomorrow morning I am going to have my '69 SSI car's A/C system repaired. I'll report back.

-rick / hot-n-steamy houston
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Phantom

HI,
The gaz replacement for R12 is R413A.
It's not necessary to change anything, just drawing and put the R413A.

Would you, please, excuse my bad English, I'm just french. Nobody's perfect ....
Bentley turbo R LWB 1997 & Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit 1987

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Lelorar,

Be careful with that assertion. I'll agree in so far as there is no need to change the compressor/evaporator/condenser but one must change out several things in addition to the refrigerant: receiver/dryer, system oil. and seals (in some cases).

These conversions are relatively straightforward, but they are not just changing the refrigerant.

It also takes less R134a by weight compared to R12 (about 85 to 90%) to get the same cooling. It's better to underfill, do your air temperature checks, and add a bit more if needed.

Also, it is R134a.

For anyone who has an R12 system that still functions and doesn't leak, there are shops that can and do work on them, they're just not out there "everywhere" and don't exist at all in some states.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Phantom

Sorry guyslp, i belabor a point.

The gaz replacement for R12 is R413A.
It's not necessary to change anything, just drawing and put the R413A.

I do it on 2 cars, many years ago, without the slightest trouble.

I speak about the R413A not the R134a

cheers

Would you, please, excuse my bad English, I'm just french. Nobody's perfect ....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 AM

Leloarer,

Interesting. This particular refrigerant appears to be quite prevalent in Europe (and is a blend of R134a, R218 and R600a, see http://www.idsrefrigeration.co.uk/isceon.php). I've had almost no luck finding anyone who uses it (or claims to use it) on this side of the pond.

Most R12 conversions here still appear to be done using straight R134a and that does require more than drawing out the old refrigerant and introducing the new.

Thanks for that additional information. It will be interesting to see if this particular blend ever takes off in the US.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyslp
Most R12 conversions here still appear to be done using straight R134a and that does require more than drawing out the old refrigerant and introducing the new.
Yes, in France too.
It's more interesting for a mecanic to sell you that, and they rarely suggest you the R413A as first intention.

But if you show them that you know the existence of the R413A conversion, by a unexplainable miracle, they found it in their backstage ....

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

I had never heard of this either, not that I'm up on my refrigerants by any stretch. Just the regular R134a. It seems there are several other substitutes actually. I have a couple Mercs that need some A/C work done, this is good to know.

I'm assuming R12 is completely out of the question in Canada. Can anyone confirm that is no longer an option here?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 PM

I just repaired the leak in my '69 Shadow and put five 12 oz cans of Freeze-12 in it. Works like a champ. Cold as any R12 system and required no modification.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Phantom

http://www.sherco-auto.com/fr4012.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode