About ignition module replacement - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

About ignition module replacement

My 75 Silver is equipped with Opus electronic ignition module, but it has some problem.

I'd like to know what is the proper model # of Pertronix Ignitor to replace the opus module?

I asked about some ebay sellers about the Pertronix ignitor, they are not sure about the compatibility with the Opus ignition module, they are only sure about the point type ignition control. They need to know the lucas # of the my distributor, so they can check.

Does anybody know about the lucas # of the distributor which has the Opus ignition module?

Thanks

75 Silver Shadow LRD21XXX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi, guyslp, I remembered you posted some photo about the distributor from your SRH33576. Could you get the distributor model # on it? Thank you!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:30 PM

I believe that your distributor will be a Lucas 35DE8, but this is embossed into the side of your distributor housing, so check there. My cars both have the 35DE8. I would post a picture, because I do have one, but until the "maximum attachments storage space" issue is addressed I can no longer post any attachments.

Several regulars in these parts have fitted Pertronix electronic ignition to replace either points-type or failed Lucas electronic ignitions. Try a forums search on Pertronix and you may find a thread with that information.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Last edited by guyslp; 06-07-2015 at 10:33 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.

I searched the forum, but not a specific model # of Pertronix was mensioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
I believe that your distributor will be a Lucas 35DE8, but this is embossed into the side of your distributor housing, so check there.

Several regulars in these parts have fitted Pertronix electronic ignition to replace either points-type or failed Lucas electronic ignitions. Try a forums search on Pertronix and you may find a thread with that information.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:48 PM

If your distributor is indeed a 35DE8, you would fit an LU-281 Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition or a 9LU-281 Pertronix Ignitor II electronic ignition.
Just be certain that the one you get is compatible with counterclockwise rotor arm rotation, since our cars have counterclockwise rotation. The link I gave for the LU-281 states for clockwise rotation only, but I'm almost certain they have a variant for counterclockwise.

If anyone's actually fitted a Pertronix please let us know which model number you used.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the info.

The 9LU-281 Pertronix Ignitor I looks the same as the one listed on the Flyingspares website(they have a different part # though).

So, if I replace the stock with this Pertronix, the ballast resistor will be bypassed,and I need to get a 12V 3ohm coil to work with the Pertronix, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
If your distributor is indeed a 35DE8, you would fit an LU-281 Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition or a 9LU-281 Pertronix Ignitor II electronic ignition.
Just be certain that the one you get is compatible with counterclockwise rotor arm rotation, since our cars have counterclockwise rotation. The link I gave for the LU-281 states for clockwise rotation only, but I'm almost certain they have a variant for counterclockwise.

If anyone's actually fitted a Pertronix please let us know which model number you used.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:39 PM

Maybe an 1.5-ohm coil. The Flamethrower, 40, 000v coil I bought, with the thought of going Pertronix in the near future, calls for a 1.5 ohm coil for V8 engines.

Kevin Flankey
Orlando, FL
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:19 AM

Now that I can attach again . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRH33576_Distributor_Markings_CloseUp-02.jpg (145.3 KB, 28 views)

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode